Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Timing Strategy

_FIDELIO__FIDELIO_ Alum Member
edited November 2014 in Logical Reasoning 98 karma
Three and half months into studying and still really struggling with timing on LR. I seemed to only be able to get through 17 or 18 questions in a section. Any advice?

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Going slow is being fast.
  • CoCoPerezCoCoPerez Alum Member
    6 karma
    I was just discussing this with my friend the other day. I tend to be a lingerer on questions and i second guess myself and waste time. So I am implementing a plan that you pick a number, let's say 21.. and you shoot to answer 21 questions. You must be willing to guess on 5-6 questions. This route will give you lee-way on what questions to go for and what questions to skip based on preference. JY has amazing advice on this website towards the end of his course. You should listen. Good Luck
  • shinny117shinny117 Alum Member
    69 karma
    I had that problem for quite some time and I practiced to meet the time marks recommended by the LSAT Trainer:
    Question 5 - 5 min in
    Question 10 - 11 min in
    Question 15- 18 min in
    Question 20 - 26 min in

This helped tremendously and I'm able to finished all the questions in time. Hope this works for you too!
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    try focus less on finishing the section and more on answering the questions correctly... When I made the switch I would tend to finish faster bc I didn't have to reread questions as much bc of not grasping the stimulus as much while hurrying trying to finish the section
  • esther.adam2013esther.adam2013 Alum Member
    55 karma
    Are you really good with flaw questions? My study buddy and I found it really helpful when we started working on the flaw packets cambridge, hardest lsat flaw questions. That will help improve with LR. If you can do flaw questions you can do any LR question type.
  • Marie4lawschoolMarie4lawschool Alum Member
    359 karma
    Skip the 'conforms to the principle' and 'most similar in (flawed) reasoning' questions! These are time-sucking beasts. See if this approach makes a difference! :-)
  • bcbiasbcbias Free Trial Member
    8 karma
    I was just in the same boat a month ago. You need to habitualize the processes for handling each question type and the pace to get through them. Focus on drilling the types you miss on PTs and once you start getting accurate at them, time each question but don't worry about going over too much(I gave myself 1m 30s). This will help you judge your pace for each question and get more time efficient with your thinking. After that you want to transition to drilling timed sections if you have the material to. I've been doing it for just about a week. At first I was struggling to get through the sections, now I'm not worried. I know I can still go faster though, so I'm about to start shaving minutes off of my section times. Once you get to the stage of being able to blind review and determine your mistake and the right answer without much problem most of the time, you should have the understanding to start pushing your process. Someone mentioned this above but you need to have benchmark times. Mine are #10-10m, #15-15m, #20-25m. I know mine may be a little extreme, but I like to push the pace because I'm on autopilot from 1-14 for the most part(because the wrong answers are so much easier to eliminate) and I can catch myself when I'm stuck with a faulty answer or 2. Hope this helps!
  • James RayJames Ray Alum Member
    186 karma
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Practice is without trying to hit the time. Just be as efficient as possible. You will eventually hit that time mark