Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concussions and the LSAT

bcallahan95bcallahan95 Alum Member
in General 64 karma

SO three weeks ago I got rear ended and I have a pretty bad concussion as a result (along with all of the dreadful physical and cognitive symptoms) and my doctors have said that taking the LSAT in December as I had planned would not be smart and there's no way I would be ready. I was super bummed because I had already taken a year off of schooling to work and now this means I have to take another year off.
Has anybody dealt with this before and have any advice? I'm going to try and get a refund from LSAC but I'm not sure how to go about it, as well as try and cope with this let down. But everything happens for a reason right? :)

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@bcallahan95 Sorry about the concussion! I've never experienced one so I'm unsure of how affects you but why couldn't you go ahead and try with accommodations? Ask for more time. You'll have to get your doctor to sign forms but maybe it's worth a shot. There's nothing you can do about Dec. because forms have to be submitted when you register but I'd probably try for Feb. Is Feb. pushing it for your school of choice? The worst they can do is deny you accommodations. How have you been performing since the accident? Have you notice significant changes? I believe your refund would only be $50 which is bull considering the amount you paid but I think you have plenty of time before the deadline to request the refund.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

I would see about an accommodation as well. I know they are hard to get you will have to have brain scans etc, but it would be worth it and deserved in the case (in my eyes anyways)

• sarahann4sarahann4 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Hey! I'm actually in a really similarly situation. In July I was hit head on by a drunk driver and spent about a week in the hospital with lots of broken bones followed by weeks of rehab. I took the September 2017 LSAT, so I lost about three weeks of studying. I had a really bad concussion and my doctor actually recommended me taking a semester off of college as well as pushing the LSATs back. But I was super determined (and maybe I'm a little crazy) and decided to push though anyway. I didn't do as well as I had originally wanted to do, but I expected that. I wrote an addendum and I'm hoping that will help the admissions understand where I'm coming from. I didn't want to have to go to law school later than I had planned so I lowered my sights a little bit. This is probably not the best advice and if you think waiting will make a significant difference in where you go, then don't take it in September. If you don't think it'll make that big of a difference, I would push through. Reading gives me massive headaches so I would study for a few hours and then lay in bed in the pitch black until it went away. Good luck and I'm sorry this happened to you! I Know first hand how miserable it can all be. I was in the middle of studying so I felt if I just gave up I would have lost months of work.if you haven't started studying yet, maybe pushing it off isn't the worst thing

• bcallahan95bcallahan95 Alum Member
    64 karma

Thank you everyone! I've decided to cut my losses now and just focus on getting my brain better, the LSAT and law school can wait, even though it's a bummer.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Good call. I have a good friend who got a concussion and decided to "push through" who now has to medically withdraw from all of her classes. She didn't give her brain time to heal and what should have been a two week problem turned into a multiple month problem. Take this seriously. Law school will always be there