User Avatar
•

Edited Tuesday, Aug 18

🙃 Confused

Contractions in Personal Statements?

When writing your personal statements, is it adviced to include or avoid contractions?

For context, I'm having trouble fitting all of my content into the character limits, and using the contractions would help the statement fit in the limits but also 'read' smoother/easier for the reader.

Any clarity or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

5

9 comments

  • Thursday, Aug 20

    This is just food for thought, and anyone is welcome to disagree with me. I'm just going to put this out there...

    Historically yes. In general, in a more formalized writing piece, prior writing guidelines said you shouldn't rely on a ton of contractions. However I generally feel AI has changed that perception. My sister is an English professor. As soon as AI was introduced she said she could instantly smell when someone had used AI without using any kind of software detector (and YES obviously they’ll use these AI detector tools, not the point of what I am saying).

    Why could she spot it instantly? Because AI doesn't have a unique "Voice." In creative writing, voice is what separates you from other writers. Yes, companies are starting to modify that and try to give AI a style that that is tailored to them. But, I think in the literature community there is a return to the emphasis and importance of the "human" element of writing, which is distinction in your Voice and that comes out in your writing style.

    Writing professionals used to try to be more mindful of traditional rules for formal/academic writing. Because the prior intent of that was to specifically adhere to a more formal tone when appropriate.

    But AI co-opted that when it was first built. For the much worse (in mine, and many other writers opinions). And for you, your writing voice could be using more frequent contractions. And isn't a personal statement meant to represent you?!

     I would see it this way: 1) Are the contractions enhancing the tone/style of your writing or detracting from it? 2) Are you just using it to try to save space? If so, you'll probably worsen the piece if you jam them in everywhere to save a few sentences. It wouldn't be worth it in my opinion to make your writing suffer.

    3
    Wednesday, Aug 26

    @EEC_517 These are some great points to consider, thanks for sharing!

    2
  • Tuesday, Sep 15

    I saw this post from a while back, but not sure if things have changed: https://7sage.com/discussion/20302/contraction-in-personal-statement

    2
    Tuesday, Sep 15

    @Rena12345 Thanks!

    1
  • JacobBaska Admissions Strategy Expert
    Thursday, Aug 20

    In general, it's better to write without using contractions but you also have to do what you have to do!

    Out of curiosity, what school is this? If we're talking about a character limit rather than a word limit, that makes it sound like the PS is built within the app form itself. I'm not aware of any American law schools that do that, so I'm just curious!

    2
    Wednesday, Aug 26

    @JacobBaska This is for Canadian law school applications.

    1
    JacobBaska Admissions Strategy Expert
    Thursday, Aug 27

    @Daisy Ah! Yup, it's a different ball of wax in Canada since a lot of their statements are built into the apps. This means that they can control the character limits. So I'd relax my advice a bit and say that it's a SMIDGE more alright but use your discretion!

    1
  • Wednesday, Aug 19

    I read contradictions 😂

    1
    Wednesday, Aug 26

    @PowerUp_Tutoring Lol 😂😂

    1
You've reached the end of the comments.

Confirm action

Are you sure?