I can help with each of the areas you identified. I would begin with a free consultation to learn more about the work you have completed since June, your current accuracy by section and question type, your available study time, and your goals for November.
The fact that you have not taken a diagnostic is completely understandable, but a diagnostic is not a pass-or-fail event. It simply gives us the information needed to determine where you are starting and what needs the most attention. After the consultation and an initial diagnostic-focused session, I would prepare a personalized preparation plan and syllabus identifying your priorities, the order in which we should address them, the materials you should study, the drills you should create, and the timed and untimed work you should complete between sessions. That would also allow me to give you an honest assessment of whether November is realistic or whether January would provide the better opportunity to reach 160.
Your idea of writing down why you selected each answer would fit very well into the process. We would use that work to examine your thought process and classify exactly where errors occur: understanding the question, controlling the passage or reasoning chain, determining what the correct answer must accomplish, or evaluating the choices. Once we locate a breakdown, we can go directly to correcting it with the appropriate technique and targeted practice.
For dense Logical Reasoning passages, I teach a repeatable top-down process for controlling the passage and its reasoning before addressing the choices. For Reading Comprehension, we build the Big Picture one sentence at a time, track how each paragraph develops it, and train the quick “get in and get out” deep dives needed for detail questions. Greater speed develops as these processes become more controlled and automatic.
Beyond the initial assignments, I provide ongoing instructional materials, targeted assignments, and specific drill-creation instructions throughout the plan. As your preparation progresses, we follow the data from your drills, timed sections, and practice tests and adjust the priorities, assignments, and timeline as needed.
My standard rate is $80 per hour, with a five-hour prepaid package available for $320. I realize that is above the budget you listed, so I completely understand if it is not workable. If you would still like to explore whether the approach might be a good fit, I would be happy to arrange a free consultation.
1 comments
Hi Kiyah,
I can help with each of the areas you identified. I would begin with a free consultation to learn more about the work you have completed since June, your current accuracy by section and question type, your available study time, and your goals for November.
The fact that you have not taken a diagnostic is completely understandable, but a diagnostic is not a pass-or-fail event. It simply gives us the information needed to determine where you are starting and what needs the most attention. After the consultation and an initial diagnostic-focused session, I would prepare a personalized preparation plan and syllabus identifying your priorities, the order in which we should address them, the materials you should study, the drills you should create, and the timed and untimed work you should complete between sessions. That would also allow me to give you an honest assessment of whether November is realistic or whether January would provide the better opportunity to reach 160.
Your idea of writing down why you selected each answer would fit very well into the process. We would use that work to examine your thought process and classify exactly where errors occur: understanding the question, controlling the passage or reasoning chain, determining what the correct answer must accomplish, or evaluating the choices. Once we locate a breakdown, we can go directly to correcting it with the appropriate technique and targeted practice.
For dense Logical Reasoning passages, I teach a repeatable top-down process for controlling the passage and its reasoning before addressing the choices. For Reading Comprehension, we build the Big Picture one sentence at a time, track how each paragraph develops it, and train the quick “get in and get out” deep dives needed for detail questions. Greater speed develops as these processes become more controlled and automatic.
Beyond the initial assignments, I provide ongoing instructional materials, targeted assignments, and specific drill-creation instructions throughout the plan. As your preparation progresses, we follow the data from your drills, timed sections, and practice tests and adjust the priorities, assignments, and timeline as needed.
My standard rate is $80 per hour, with a five-hour prepaid package available for $320. I realize that is above the budget you listed, so I completely understand if it is not workable. If you would still like to explore whether the approach might be a good fit, I would be happy to arrange a free consultation.
Thanks for reading and best of luck either way!
Scott