I grew up in Thailand, and English is my second language (around B2). I’m comfortable with English generally, but when it comes to really condensed or abstract text, I get lost pretty easily.

RC is still my biggest struggle, and I’m not very familiar with the Low-Res Summary method yet. What do you guys actually do while reading? Summarize each paragraph, highlight, take notes, or just keep the structure in your head?

Especially for other non-native speakers - what helped you get better at processing dense passages without getting lost?

Please help 😭

1

1 comments

  • julielamberth Independent Tutor
    6 days ago

    Take notes - but a very short (less than 10 words per paragraph) summary of the content of each paragraph. Like making a ToC. Think about for each sentence whether it's conveying structure/new information/a change in direction (read these sentences) or blah blah bah boring detail that just elaborates on something you've already been told (skip these sentences). You probably should actually carefully read about 20-25% of the passage.

    1
You've reached the end of the comments.

Confirm action

Are you sure?