What are y'all doing to improve your performance on conditional reasoning? I feel like I know the keywords & tricks to introduce sufficient and necessary assumptions, and my former tutor last fall even told me I was good at it. But when it comes to anticipating, for some reason, I'm lost or just get it totally wrong. Or I over-diagram when I don't even need to diagram (shoutout Blueprint prep...)

Sorry to be so vague -- just wondering what has helped other people.

2

1 comments

  • julielamberth Independent Tutor
    6 days ago

    What are you trying to anticipate?

    My rule for whether I write out a conditional is whether it takes me time to translate it initially. If it's a very clear "if X then Y" that I can translate in my head again in a second, it's not time efficient for me to write it out. If it's more subtle language or more complex, I translate it once then write that down so I don't need to keep repeating that step.

    Also, distinguish sufficient/necessary assumption (a question type) from sufficient and necessary conditions (elements of a statement in a stimulus or answer choice that then lead to a conditional statement that encapsulates the relationship) - these are not the same thing.

    1
You've reached the end of the comments.

Confirm action

Are you sure?