Okay I recognize this is a great (non) problem to have, and I don’t want to seem ungrateful for my score. I am super happy with my 174. I hope everyone else got the scores they were looking for and I wish all October takers luck!

EDIT IN CASE ITS UNCLEAR: I AM NOT REGISTERING FOR A NEW RETAKE, IM JUST WONDERING, SINCE I CANT GET A REFUND ON MY BACKUP, IF I SHLD JUST TAKE IT ANYWAY.

Basically, I retook the exam in September (first take was a 171 in November). But I registered for an October backup because I have severe anxiety and having a backup helped me put my mind at ease re: applying this cycle in case something went wrong during my Sept. take. I got my score back with a 174. My retake is in 8 days.

The only reason I’m considering a retake is that the average of my last 5 pts before the exam was a 177 (176, 178, 180, 179, 175). I think I could, possibly, get a few extra points. Maybe not, but I’ve already paid for the test.

That said, I’m not sure how to evaluate risk/reward here

  • I’m worried if I retake, schools will judge me (whether or not I get a bad score and cancel, but ESPECIALLY if I get a bad score and cancel)

  • Would a 176 give me better scholarship outcomes than a 174? I really don’t know!

I would not be retaking after this October test, if I take it. I.e. If I take October and don’t crack 174, then I will happily retain my 174 and never register for another one of these tests.

Would really appreciate any advice!

3

7 comments

  • Edited 5 days ago

    that is above or at the median of literally every school. the ones where higher would matter for aid are need based. it may just come off as neurotic

    2
    6 days ago

    that’s a great point, thank you

    1
  • 2

    Im joking, but I think it really depends on where you want to apply and where their medians are at imo.

    2
    6 days ago

    thank you goat

    2
  • Edited Friday, Oct 2

    I feel like I'd go for it if I were you but to your point I'm unsure if schools will judge you for an sig lower score (though it sounds like you won't get that based on your PTs)

    2
    6 days ago

    hmmm yeah

    1
You've reached the end of the comments.

Confirm action

Are you sure?