Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concerned

friesan872friesan872 Free Trial Member
in General 5 karma
I am preparing to take LSAT in few weeks (2017, February 4); while I possess an elevated GPA for undergraduate (3.75 in political science, 3.9 in Sociology, and 3.8 in psychology), I am worried about the relevance and effect of the LSAT score. If I may, does the latter have adverse effects on the former?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited January 2017 8694 karma
    Law schools highly value a candidate's LSAT score. It is difficult to understate how important this exam is. Some even say that law schools value the LSAT score of an applicant more than that applicant's undergraduate GPA. I have spoken to informed people who say that admissions into law school is roughly 70% LSAT and 30% Undergraduate GPA. Others I have spoken to put it at roughly 65% LSAT and 35% Undergraduate GPA. Obviously this varies by the institution one is applying to. This is open for interpretation, but I would be surprised if anyone who commented below put the numbers at 50%/50% LSAT/GPA or 40%/60% LSAT/GPA.

The prevailing wisdom amongst the community is that if one has a sub-par GPA, one can essentially "save" their chances at an elite institution with a great LSAT score.

Now, to the nub of your question: the matter is open for interpretation, but a very low LSAT score can indeed impact the relevance of one's high GPA and hurt one's chances at particular schools. A very high LSAT score can impact one's chances at other schools. Again, this would vary with the schools one is applying to. There are many resources available to gauge one's chances, including my law school numbers

In short, if I had to offer one piece of advice, it would be to get the highest score you can possibly get on the LSAT.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited January 2017 8694 karma
    About a month ago, a very helpful mentor on these forums wrote a thread about when to postpone taking the exam @Sami . My suggestion would be to take an honest look at that post and make the best decision for you. In the intervening time, feel free to reach about about any addition questions you have concerning a specific element of the exam. We are all here to help each other learn and grow and develop strategies together.

-David