Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dec. disadvantage?

AidoeAidoe Free Trial Member
in General 236 karma

I don't know why it takes a whole month to release LSAT scores, but is it generally not advisable to take the Dec. exam if you're planning on applying that cycle to very competitive schools?

Reason I ask is because I'd like to take Sept and Dec (as backup) but if I don't get scores until January I feel like I might as well wait until the next cycle to apply. A lot of this is based on what's ideal and I know many would point out that I should take the test when I feel ready, but timing and a backup plan are strategic considerations that have to at least be factored.

Comments

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    edited January 2017 821 karma

Hi @Aidoe, I think it depends who you ask. In general, applying in December with a high LSAT is better than applying early with a lower LSAT. If your September and December score somehow ends up being the same and they are at a school's median, then yeah, you might be at a bit of a disadvantage.

If you take the LSAT in September and plan on a retake in December, I would recommend completing all of your applications before your December LSAT score is released. You can actually submit all of your applications via LSAC before your other score is in. That way schools will have processed the majority of your file by the time your December score arrives in early January.

The only LSAT that I would consider too late is the February LSAT. Even if your school takes a February LSAT, I think it really is to your disadvantage, especially for scholarship money.

Also, as for turning applications in - anything pre-Thanksgiving is considered early, Christmas is on time, anything after the first week of January is pretty late.

edit: If you're applying to Yale, it really doesn't matter when you submit your application or if you take the December LSAT. You can submit at any time, it really doesn't increase or decrease your chances of admission at all.