Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any advice for morning people taking the June exam?

MapleSarahpMapleSarahp Member
edited February 2017 in General 125 karma

I know it's recommended to wake up early or be ready by 8:30ish to simulate test-day conditions, but what about the June exam that starts at 1pm?

I'm an early-morning person so the June start time is a serious nightmare (or rather, afternoon-mare) for me, because I tend to hit an afternoon slump, or at least feel not as alert around noon. I've tried waking up later, but having a hard time with things like giving up morning runs when there's less traffic, to generally feeling bad about losing that morning study time, when I'm studying full time and usually get a good chunk done before noon. I feel more productive on an early morning routine, but perhaps it's not worth the risk of a mid-day-slump-during-June-exam?

Any thoughts or experience on getting used to the June LSAT start time?

Comments

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2017 457 karma

@"maple sarahp" I wish that I had that problem! I think a lot of people struggle more with transitioning to a morning routine than the alternative.

For what it is worth, I did not adhere to a consistent study time during the day while doing the curriculum, buffing up on weak areas, or when BRing. Since these are not test-day conditions, I didn't think it would have an adverse effect on my focus during the actual test, which I took this past weekend. I did, however, make sure to take my PTs during a 1-2 hour window near the start time for the test. Since there is invariably a bit of delay on test day due to administrative paperwork, I would start my PTs between 9 and 9:30. For the June test, this would be around 1-2:30 it sounds like.

My experience was that PTing under the most similar conditions aided me for the real deal. I knew what to expect as far as my mental alertness, and it helped me to know how to prepare before the test. For me, caffeine was pretty important, as it helped me to push through my morning slump (I am a total night owl). Try to find out what could help you to feel more alert and confident during the same testing time that will occur in June.

So long as you feel good taking PTs at this time of day, I don't think there is any issue with setting your sleep and study schedule to whatever works best. YMMV, but consistent PT conditions was sufficient training for me. If you just can't get comfortable with testing at this time, there is always September, nice and early in the morning!

• MapleSarahpMapleSarahp Member
    125 karma

@BenjaminSF Thanks that's really great advice, I will keep that in mind!! :smiley:

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Hey, so yeah June is the only LSAT that starts later on in the day. I recommend trying to start your day a little later if you can, to help remedy the afternoon slump. I also recommend taking PTs around afternoon so you can resemble test day conditions. If by June you still don't feel up to it, do you think you can postpone?

• legal_namelegal_name Alum Member
    277 karma

Make sure to bubble carefully. So many crazy stories on reddit about bubbling mishaps. Very depressing. All that time and effort studying only to slip up by shifting all of your answers down by one line.

• MapleSarahpMapleSarahp Member
    125 karma

@montaha.rizeq thanks!!

@legal_name definitely! thanks