Mental focus is lower in the evening - Help with June LSAT adjustments?

inactiveinactive Alum Member
edited February 2017 in June 2017 LSAT 12637 karma

Hey 7Sagers,

I had someone write in with concerns about adjusting their schedule for the June LSAT (since it's in the afternoon and not in the morning) and I thought you guys could help! It's a very brief question, so here it is:

I have a specific concern regarding June, namely, I know for a fact that my mental focus fades really bad mid-afternoon, while being sharpest mid-morning. Any suggestions that you may have would be most greatly appreciated.

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Hi!

So my first thought is: do you need to take it in June? If you are already concerned that your mental state of being will not be as sharp and you think this is going to wreck your confidence, then there is no point wasting a take. Especially if this is something that you can't change, I would take in September. You'll have more time to prepare!

If you are fully committed to June, try staying up later to train yourself to wake up a bit later. If you wake up at 10 or 11am, maybe you will get that "mid-morning" boost around 1pm. If this doesn't work, preoccupy yourself in the morning with other non LSAT things so that way when it comes time to test, you are ready to go. For example, if you spend your morning doing things that don't exactly require you to be sharp, such as anything fitness oriented, maybe that sharpness will come when it is time to study. Lastly, try to delay your eating a bit. This will make it so that you aren't hungry around lunch time.

Full disclosure: I am not a psychological expert.

Hope this helps!

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited March 2017 1741 karma

Well I think there is two options here:

1) Change your sleep schedule so that your mind is at your sharpest around the time you need it to be.

or

2) Work on your mental endurance so your mind is sharper for an extended period of time.

• ELpell23ELpell23 Member
    101 karma

Don't underestimate the way adrenaline can kick in and energize you. I am the same way in terms of timing, but remember that during college I was always able to power through exams even if they weren't during my "peak" time mentally. Take a power nap beforehand, exercise, do some drills, and count on the fact that the adrenaline will be a big factor.

• Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma

I think this person should drink a coffee (and use restroom) beforehand. He/she should also be well-hydrated (from drinking plain water earlier in the day) prior to drinking the coffee. Caffeine is a proven performance enhancer and could restore the mental "edge" that this person experiences mid-morning.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

If possible take in September. However, I think with some adjustments you will be fine whenever you take it. Like others above me said a change in sleep schedule can do wonders, as well as a change in diet and exercise. That said, back to my original point: If you think you'll do better unquestionably taking in the morning as opposed to the afternoon by all means take in September instead of June. More time to study is never a bad thing. Plus you'll have PT81 to check out before you sit for September and an entire summer to get better!