Canada/LSAC GPA

Hey everyone,

My school in Canada only gives out percentage grades on my transcript. They also have a chart that converts your percentage grade to a corresponding letter grade. But there are no letter grades on my transcript.

Canadian percentage grades seem to be vastly different from US percentage grades; as my institution counts anything over a 94 an A+, over 90 an A, and so on. The conversion chart at LSAC is substantially lower in terms of percentages.

If I calculate my GPA based on the corresponding letter grades at my institution, my GPA is 4.1. However, those grades aren't on the transcript, so my GPA is 3.75 according to LSAC.

My question is, since there's a huge discrepancy, what can I do? I talked to LSAC and they seemed pretty fixated on taking whatever is on the transcript. For note, I haven't sent in anything yet, but since it's such a huge difference it's causing me huge concern.

Thanks guys,

Comments

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    edited February 2017 821 karma

Yup, you're right, Canadian grades are really different from US grades.

Unfortunately, I believe whatever GPA LSAC gives you is your official GPA when applying to law school. You're definitely not the only person whose LSAC GPA is much lower than their official school GPA, that even happens to American students.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A 3.75 GPA is still competitive for most of the T14, and if you are coming from a major Canadian school and applying to a T1 school, adcoms should be familiar with how Canadian grades differ from US grades. Law school is a numbers game, but I'm sure that a 3.75 from a school like Toronto must be worth more than a 3.8 from some US colleges...

I'd maybe put the 4.1 on your resume though, and make sure that you have a stellar application. I know that seems obvious, but really, having pristine application materials can make a HUGE difference.

• jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
    315 karma

Thanks @stgl1230 .
    Unfortunately, I don't come from one of the top schools in Canada.
    It's frustrating because we are one of the only institutions that don't post letter grades.

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    edited February 2017 821 karma

@"Jae Won Hur" I still wouldn't sweat it! I know it's frustrating, but 3.75 is still a really competitive GPA for the overwhelming majority of US law schools. Since your institution is one of the only schools that doesn't post letter grades, that might be grounds for an addendum, although I'm not an expert. When it's time, it might be worthwhile for you to work with David Busis or Spivey consulting for feedback. They've probably worked with students in the same situation and can ease your qualms better than anyone on a forum can.

Focus on studying for the LSAT! And make sure that you start early + work hard on your applications (again, never underestimate the power of strong writing). You will do great.