Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC assumptions?

edited February 2017 in Reading Comprehension 1025 karma

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-30-section-3-passage-4-questions/

I got all the questions right in the timed portion and in BR, EXCEPT #27.
I found it myself between AC’s B and C..

I did not chose C because I saw an underlying assumption that Amelia Wallace Vernon is a historian. Is that a reasonable assumption to make? The first paragraph said “while historians once” thought this… AWV now has research to say otherwise. I thought C was a trap as it was referencing to the historian’s theories that propagated the wrong myth. Directly from the text, the historians were the ones with the preconceived idea of the theory, not the new theories presented by AWV.

Now, I knew that B was wrong when I chose it, but I could not get myself to satisfy this assumption. Maybe it is just pure stubbornness, I am not sure.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Hi!

So while it is not directly indicated by the text of the passage, I do think that it is safe to assume she is a historian. By definition, she is doing what historians do. AVW is investigating the historical influences of AAs in America. She studies how they impacted the land a few centuries ago and even even refutes an old historical theory regarding who first cultivated rice. Basically, the passage is explaining her field research/studies and how they aspire to solve the "puzzling phenomenon."

I understand C isn't perfect because it requires some assumptions, but I also believe that these assumptions aren't to out of the ordinary. In other words, it doesn't make leaps but merely takes some (small) steps. But given her academic endeavors and the goals of her research, I think it is fair to say AVW is at least somewhat of a historian.

Hope this helps!

• edited February 2017 1025 karma

This helps a ton. I guess taking a step back from the argument and realizing what AVW is doing/presenting in the text actually does qualify her as a historian. I need to think more generally about the text in situation like this, especially when the question stem particularly asks about the entire passage as a whole.

I appreciate your help!!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Any time! Glad to help :)