Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I choose the top five school or the tier 2 school that is giving me a full ride?

2»

Comments

• combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma

@"Alex Divine" that's interesting information on mid law. I imagine that it depends a lot on the location of the firm as well. Michigan only has 4 schools, not including Cooley. So Wayne, Michigan State, and even Toledo have the ability to place people into firms that they otherwise wouldn't in cities like Chicago. Detroit is a weird city to be an attorney. You have more prestigious firms like Jones Day and Honigman that pay exceptionally and give pretty consistent raises. You have other places that are highly regarded like Miller Canfield and Butzel Long. I've met with people from each firm and I have to say, they were all fairly similar. Also in other firms, you have the "Jewish Dynamic" which occasionally trump's everything and gets a relatively unqualified person a job. I'm in no position to complain about nepotism but it adds to the negative vibes that some firms have.

• SethDCorleySethDCorley Alum Member
    57 karma

Just gonna throw this out there - I actually got a job in the legal sector before going to law school, and it was a great move, because I have such a better idea what I do and don't like, and where I would and would not like to work. Had no idea how much I actually love complicated points of law, love real estate transactions, love paperwork, etc. I'm not being sarcastic, but I wouldn't have known this without experience. Throwing your eggs in the BigLaw basket is pretty risky when you don't have any idea if you'll love it or hate it, just gonna throw that out there. You might know what you like right now, but you really don't know what your tastes will be like 5 years from now. Chicago opens doors, but bro, I know of lawyers at firms size 15-20 with seriously messed up lives (alcohol problems, etc) from all the stress and workload. I can't imagine BigLaw to be much better. Be really careful before you throw everything in that direction. I worked at a DA's office before, and DA's in my area (CA) usually make around 60 grand a year, but have much more of a work life balance than do most other lawyers and it's EXTREMELY satisfying work. Check out your options and know what they are. Lower ranked schools are limiting, but so is debt. Also in my opinion, however, Chicago just sounds incredible. I mean Milton Friedman, Stephen Levitt and Stephen Dubbner, Richard Epstein, Barak Obama, James Q. Wilson, the list goes on - Some of the greatest intellectuals (especially economists) who've ever lived hail from there. What an incredible place to study. On a deeply personal level though, I can say this. Everyone says "I grew up poor," etc., all that BS, but really, growing up my Dad was a mechanic and my Mom worked at a grocery store. Maybe I wasn't as poor as someone who has to eat paint chips to stay alive, but heres what I did learn: If you can make enough to meet your basic needs (food, health insurance, etc.), you can live a really happy life. You don't need a ton of money, and really, after a while money can actually hold you back from things that matter. All this to say eff BigLaw, in my opinion, and also in my opinion, I think you'll probably say off BigLaw at some point.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@combsni said:
    @"Alex Divine" that's interesting information on mid law. I imagine that it depends a lot on the location of the firm as well. Michigan only has 4 schools, not including Cooley.

Yeah -- location is a big factor with everything. Like I said, I'm really familiar with NYC big law and mid law.

Interesting info on Michigan/Detroit. Thank you! I don't know much about midwest law at all to be quite honest. Always been somewhat interested in seeing how it actual is compared to what I read about on here and TLS.

• combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma

@"Alex Divine" no problem.