Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Approaching LR questions

NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member

So, what I'm understanding about the practicing of the LR questions (MSS specifically) is that you just need to be a 100% sure about your answer choices. The Blind Review applies for the questions that you weren't certain of the answer in order for you to reach that 100% certainty as to why the answer choices are correct/incorrect. Furthermore, the question choices that yield subtle differences that makes you think "hmm... could be.." is definitely wrong because there's an answer choice that is definitely solid with the given premises... Right? I'm curious because I was doing the Preptest29-Section4-Question3 and realized that the answer I chose (D) was the aforementioned "hmmm.... could be..." so during my blind review, before consulting the explanation video, I re did the question and saw that (A) was the correct answer because it did not have the possibility of being countered when I plug it into the stimulus.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2017 23929 karma

Yes, you are correct. One of the first and most integral lessons I had to learn specifically re: MSS is that there is only one right answer. There truly aren't varying degrees of support where one is a bit more strongly supported than the the other answer. Though, some may disagree with this because I've heard on the newer tests 77+ they are more subtle, but that's a discussion for another time. Just focus on finding one right answer and seeing why all the other 4 are 100% incorrect. Also, avoid the (could be....) mentality. We can often trick our brains into rationalizing bad things. It is best to be 100% sure BECAUSE of a reason; a word; a phrase; something out of context.

Also, during BR don't drive yourself mad (especially in the beginning stages if you cannot reach 100% Sage Nirvana in finding the right answer) Sometimes you have to give it a break, go stress eat some ice cream, chill with a loved one, go for a run, play some piano, and some back to it. Even then sometimes it won't click and that's when the community or explanations are there to help.

I don't think I'm ever 100% correct most of the time. I usually let myself off the hook so to speak at 90%. Though everyone has a different threshold.

Good luck!

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

Thanks!