Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Worse on Retake (Addendum?)

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
in General 3788 karma

Hi guys,

I got my February score back and unfortunately I did 5 points worse on this take compared to my second take. And it is the lowest LSAT score I have on file. Will I need to provide an addendum about this LSAT score or do I need to not worry, as law schools take the highest LSAT score into consideration?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Law schools take the highest score, you should be good! if you feel an addendum will help (good explanation), then by all means do that.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Hi @"montaha.rizeq". Would having a slight cold count as a good explanation? Although I found RC and LG to be difficult, I originally didn't think my sickness was significant impediment to my exam.

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited March 2017 5120 karma

Calling @"david.busis" if available for quick advice of whether to submit addendum??

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I's personally advice against an addendum. A slight cold sounds like an excuse and will be taken as such. Books like Ana Ivey's book on Top Law School admissions talk about this type of thing in length. Generally, unless you have a REALLY good reason, addenda only draw attention to something you probably don't want them thinking twice about. Just my opinion based off some books on this I've read, specifically Ana Ivey's Guide.

If you have another explanation other than a slight cold, then you may want to consider. I'm not expert so let's see what @david.busis says!

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

Sorry to hear about your lower score. That's such a bummer!

I agree with @"Alex Divine". Most addenda look like excuses. It's just hard to imagine an admissions officer scratching her head and saying, "Well, I wasn't gonna take him, but look here—look right here—the guy said he had some sinus activity on the RC section."

I'm being a little glib, but only because adcoms are probably a bit glib by now too. They've seen so many essays and addenda!

I wouldn't sweat it. AOs are humans; they know people have bad days. And, because the top score is the only one that affects their schools' statistics, they have no incentive to care about your lower score.

If a school asks you to explain a difference in scores, just write a short, factual note explaining that you were sick on the day of the test.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited March 2017 11542 karma

@"david.busis" said:

It's just hard to imagine an admissions officer scratching her head and saying, "Well, I wasn't gonna take him, but look here—look right here—the guy said he had some sinus activity on the RC section."

Hahahaha. Well let's say there really was a plausible reason for a bad performance such as a death in the family or anything similar. Would an addendum be acceptable in this situation or is it best to leave it all together?

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

@"montaha.rizeq" it's definitely okay to write an addendum about something serious, but always better if you can also point to a better score.