Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

School Opinions

EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member

Hey hey!!

I've been AWOL for awhile. Anyway, I got a 5 point increase from what I scored in 2014. I could have done better, but I also could have done worse. So, that's life. I took the score increase and smiled knowing I rocked the games section and probably had nerves get to me more than I should have. Shout out to 7Sage for the advice, curriculum, momentum, ect. You guys are the best out there.

I decided to apply and see what happens and (as a result of a little Peace Corps stint) got all my applications fee waived. 18 schools later and I'm beginning to hear back. Thus far, I am waiting on about 12 schools. My top choices are still MIA. However, my bro said I should probably start to think about my top 2 options and get some opinions on them.

So, it's right now Iowa v. Boston College. VERY different locations. Iowa essentially offered me a full ride and BC offered me like 1/3rd. Initially I would have gone straight for Iowa, but BC has better placements in the Boston/NYC area (an area I'd prefer to be in long term). Iowa, however, could open some doors for me in Chicago which is a city I also really like and I am from very close by.

Background: I really am not into Big Law. My current interests are in advocacy law and public interest. The dream is to work for DOJ or state govt. but that may even be a reach as I'd be competing with HYS students. I'd also like to eventually maneuver into public policy work focused on children's rights. Short term, I could see myself starting in juvenile court. I'd be open to the private sector mainly working in family law dealing with adoptions/custody. But BL isn't my game.

All thoughts/opinions would be nice to hear. Thanks team :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hmmm this is a hard one because there are more state gov jobs in Mass/Boston, yet more competition for those said jobs. If you have no prob with living and staying in and around the midwest, I think Iowa at $$$ is a great choice. If Big Law isn't your game, you'll be good with hard work and networking from either choice. DOJ jobs however are actually pretty hard to land from my understanding. However, you seem prudent and understanding that you probably won't land it right out of school and will do some state level work first. I think you're going to do great either way.

Good luck! :) and Congrats :smile: