Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to study and score better on LSAT

SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
edited March 2017 in General 10774 karma

I came across this gem of a video today from TedX talk. I find it really relevant to a lot of questions that I have had and that people keep bringing up -why is my hard work in studying for LSAT not translating into a better score? I think this video does a good job of answering these questions and giving tips from research. I hope you all find it as useful as I did : ) <3

Some tips that I learned that I think have been around for a while but now I feel like are backed up by evidence:

1). Be disciplined. High scorers don't necessarily have high IQ's they are just more disciplined and focused. So cut distractions in your life and form good habits. <3
- When you make time tables, don't forget to schedule in something you love everyday. It's a lot more easier to study when you don't feel like you are miserable. So have a balanced life.

2). Take a lot of practice test and let your practice test score be a determinant on how you are going to do on the real test. This means do the test exactly as it would be real time and don't think that on test day you will score a lot better. It can happen but its not likely. The best preparation is to use these tests as a guide.

3). Don't just work hard -work hard by doing the right things. If you are not scoring well, figure out the technique that you are doing wrong and work hard to improve that instead. Working hard and just taking a lot of PT's or watching videos is not going to pay high dividends in terms of score unless its combined with really figuring out our issues and work on it. The example of Michael Jordan was really illuminating. If you shoot a ball in the hoop with the wrong technique 1000 times, that just means that now you really know how to shoot that ball with the wrong technique.

4). Don't let other people tell you that IQ is going to be a determinate in how you score. That's not something we can control and that's not a trend that's found across high scorer's.

Good Luck! and Happy Studying <3

Comments

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Loved this! I think #1 is so important for everyone. I'm still working on being disciplined (amidst a varying work schedule every week) but I'm getting there. I think taking the personal time everyday is really underrated. You have to keep yourself sane everyday or you'll go bonkers!

Thanks for the advice!

• Jessica_KubaJessica_Kuba Core Member
    461 karma

@Sami This is such a great advice, bookmarked it and will be incorporating this as I progress in my LSAT study. :smiley:

• imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

@Sami great video and great advice!

my biggest takeaway from 7Sage: the blind review method. I want tell everyone who is preparing to take the lsat about the importance of taking practice tests, reviewing them blind, and learning from those tests before scoring them. seems ridiculous that other test prep companies don't focus more on this...

lastly, I think the michael jordan/athletic analogy is very useful. I would add that taking the actual lsat is a bit of an athletic endeavor. in the week leading up to it (not just the day before!) it's important to sleep well (more than two nights of 6 hours or less of sleep can limit your cognitive abilities for up to a week: http://www.npr.org/tags/125939459/sleep-deprivation), eat healthy, and hydrate. on the day of the test I'd recommend bringing a snack that would suite a marathon runner: complex carbohydrates, water with electrolytes, protein, and a banana!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    Loved this! I think #1 is so important for everyone. I think taking the personal time everyday is really underrated. You have to keep yourself sane everyday or you'll go bonkers!

Actually I think that was my number 1 take away from the video too -that and be more disciplined. I need to schedule in time for things I love first before anything else. It's so underrated and explains why I just can't stick to my schedule and I go bonkers too !!! : D

@Jessica_Kuba said:
    @Sami This is such a great advice, bookmarked it and will be incorporating this as I progress in my LSAT study. :smiley:

Thanks Jess <3 <3 . I hope your LSAT study is coming along great <3 :kissing_heart:

@runningthroughthemountains said:
    @Sami great video and great advice!

my biggest takeaway from 7Sage: the blind review method. I want tell everyone who is preparing to take the lsat about the importance of taking practice tests, reviewing them blind, and learning from those tests before scoring them. seems ridiculous that other test prep companies don't focus more on this...

I am so glad you brought up blind review. It amazes me too how the other test prep companies don't focus more on this as well. Consistent and thorough blind review definitely brought my score up.

lastly, I think the michael jordan/athletic analogy is very useful. I would add that taking the actual lsat is a bit of an athletic endeavor. in the week leading up to it (not just the day before!) it's important to sleep well (more than two nights of 6 hours or less of sleep can limit your cognitive abilities for up to a week: http://www.npr.org/tags/125939459/sleep-deprivation), eat healthy, and hydrate. on the day of the test I'd recommend bringing a snack that would suite a marathon runner: complex carbohydrates, water with electrolytes, protein, and a banana!

Thanks for this amazing advice! I'll definitely remember to sleep a lot leading up to the test and keep eating well <3 <3
    I am guessing you already gave your test?

• imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

@Sami I took the february 2017 test, but was horribly ill with the flu. complex carbohydrates were not going to save me. I canceled my score and am currently prepping for the june 2017 test. and the vancouver marathon in may because you know, law school, type a personality, etc...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Definitely have to agree with all of these things! Great list with straight forward insight.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Thanks for sharing! I saw you were in the Carrolton area. I am in The Colony. Know of any good study meet ups?

• mloureyes72mloureyes72 Member
    edited March 2017 7 karma

Thank you for sharing. I am in Lubbock. Please call me if anybody wants to prepare together. I am taking in September 2017. Mary. Any tips welcomed.

Admin edit: Please do not include your phone number on a public forum unless you enjoy getting an influx of spam calls.