Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Talent Search 2017

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited March 2017 in General 14146 karma

We are searching for people who can explain complex ideas in simple, accurate, and engaging ways.

Top 7 finalists will each receive cash prizes of $350. Top prize will receive an additional $3,500. All will be considered for a longer-term video creation contract with 7Sage.

Send us your videos in one of these subjects
Test Prep: SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, Bar Prep
Law School: 1L Exam and Study Strategies, Civil Procedure, Contracts, Criminal Law, Torts, Administrative Law, Property, Constitutional Law, Legal Writing

The talent search ends on September 1, 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:What subjects should the videos be on?
A:Test Prep: SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, Bar Prep
Law School: 1L Exam and Study Strategies, Civil Procedure, Contracts, Criminal Law, Torts, Administrative Law, Property, Constitutional Law, Legal Writing

Q:How many videos can I submit and on how many subjects?
A:We ask that you limit your submissions to one video per subject but you are welcome to submit on multiple subjects. For example, you're welcome to submit one video on the SAT, one on the GRE, and one on 1L Exam and Study Strategies.

Q:What are the specifications of the videos?
A:We request that the videos should not be longer than 15 minutes. You can, but do not have to, imitate 7Sage's style of voice over a digital whiteboard. You should try to pick a subject containing sufficient difficulty to showcase your explaining skills. If you're submitting a video for Test Prep subjects, you can go narrow and pick a particular question to work through. Or you can go broad and talk about an underlying theory tested by many questions. If you're submitting for Law School subjects, you can work through specific cases and rules, specific study strategies and exam strategies, or general legal theory.

Q:What are you looking for in the videos?
A:First, factual accuracy. Second, instructive elegance. We like videos that break large, challenging ideas into simple digestible pieces. Third, conversational tone. We like videos that sound like your smart and helpful classmate is explaining something to you at the library during a study session. Students should come away from the videos feeling like they have an intuitive understanding of the topic and a sense that it wasn't as daunting as they thought it would be. We are not looking for high production value. It doesn't hurt but it's not something we're weighing heavily.

Q:When will you notify the finalists?
A:Finalists will be selected and notified on a rolling basis. Submitting earlier is advantageous.

Q:Why are you holding this talent search?
A:We want to bring down the cost of education in all the subject areas listed above and we believe the way to do that is to find amazingly talented instructors and empower them to create video content. We've learned a lot about how to provide online education through our LSAT course and we're eager to share that knowledge and apply it to other subject areas.

Q:What does a video creation contract with 7Sage look like?
A:7Sage will offer you a contract to help create lessons and videos in one of the above subjects. You will receive resources and training and have access to our technology to reach thousands of students. You will be able to work on a flexible schedule from wherever you are with highly competitive pay.

https://7sage.com/7sage-talent-search/

Comments

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    edited March 2017 14146 karma

Hey guys, we're launching our Talent Search Campaign soon and I wanted to get your help proofing the copy. Is anything unclear? Do you have any questions or comments? Any input is appreciated.

And of course, you're all welcome and encouraged to enter the talent search as well!

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Nice! This looks good.

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma

Let's call the GRE course "7Sage Harvard"

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@Alejandro said:
    Let's call the GRE course "7Sage Harvard"

I see what you did there.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27859 karma

Excellent!
    Looks great, and really happy to see 7Sage expanding!

Can't wait to pick up some of these other tests and destroy them in video form. After the LSAT, I think the verbal/reading sections on these ought to just be adorable.

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

Looks good!

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Looking forward to join once I get admitted to law school!! Motivation for LSAT and law school!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited March 2017 5320 karma

I'm happy to see the 7Sage product expanding! I'm sure you guys will find lots of success recreating the magic in these areas. Personally, I find the idea of continuing with 7Sage as a supplemental resource in Law School super appealing because with all the challenges of 1L, it would be great to have some familiarity. Not to mention having study buddies in 7Sagers who aren't competing against me in class rank : )

I've taken your sharing this as a license to be overly nit-picky :smile: To that end, I was still only able to find 3 points of possible improvement -- nice job!

Top 7 finalists will receive cash prizes. $350 for each and an additional $3,500 for the top prize.

Instead, what do you think of "Top 7 finalists will each receive cash prizes of $350 with top prize receiving an additional $3,500." or "Top 7 finalists will each receive cash prizes of $350. Top prize will receive an additional $3,500." These versions read a little better to me.

You can but do not have to imitate 7Sage's style of voice over a digital whiteboard.

Extremely nit-picky, but consider adding commas to separate the modifier "You can, but do not have to, imitate 7Sage's style of voice over a digital whiteboard."

We like videos that break large challenging ideas into simple digestible pieces.

Consider adding a comma between the coordinate adjectives "We like videos that break large, challenging ideas into simple digestible pieces." I actually had to look this rule up http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/commas-with-adjectives

• nnezeakwiwu21nnezeakwiwu21 Alum Member
    176 karma

What if you have an accent does that automatically disqualify you?

• brigittebrigitte Free Trial Member
    edited March 2017 432 karma

any more info about the potential contract with 7sage? mainly, what would you pay per hour for content-creation work?

• LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    386 karma

To clarify, if someone is interested in submitting videos for test prep, do the guidelines mean that you should submit only one video per test (i.e. only one video for the SAT, one for ACT, etc. Does "subject" mean the same thing as "test" in this context)?

Are there guidelines or requirements for the content of the videos, i.e. should the videos involve explanation of sample questions or could the video address a broader topic (e.g. mathematical concepts, how to approach a type of question or section, etc.)?

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14146 karma

@jkatz1488 Yes, precisely license to nitpick. I really liked your suggestions. They've all been implemented. Do let me know if you have more. Thanks!

@nnezeakwiwu21I have an accent. I think everyone does. As long as it's not a communication obstruction, then it's immaterial. It might even be an interesting bonus.

@anonclsstudent It wouldn't necessarily be on a per hour basis. Details would depend a lot on the particular talent. But it certainly will be highly competitive.

@LSATman1 Great questions, thank you! I tried to clarify in the FAQ above by reordering some of the FAQs and editing the text. Is it clearer now?

• LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    edited March 2017 386 karma

@J.Y.Ping Thanks for the updates! Your edits answer my questions.

• The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma

The world is better with 7Sage in it

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited March 2017 23929 karma

@"The 180 Bro_OVO" said:
    The world is better with 7Sage in it

Agreed!!!

I would love to try out for SAT (I tutored SAT prep when I was a freshman to high schoolers.) However, I am planning on taking the Sept LSAT so I think my time would best be spent on my own studies. I might consider making a video though! Who knows! Kind of sounds fun :)

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Bumping this since we're still looking!