Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with a simple translation

TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member

I'm working on translations to help with my SA understanding and am using the "find the missing link" exercises by taking the logic and translating them into English before I solve.

One of them uses:
/G most W

W some U

My question pertains to the premise. My initial thought was to translate it as: "Most things that are not green are wet." Would this be correct? I tried using "unless" but I'm not confident on that one either. I know that "not" is a group 3 negate sufficient but when I use it, it doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited April 2017 2426 karma

I think your translation of "Most things that are not green are wet." is good for /G most W. (just based the limited info given) But I'm not sure if "not" is a group 3 indicator tho. The most common ones we see/use within group 3 is unless, until, without, and or, and if "not" suggests in a sense of "no" or "none" then it should be group 4 negate necessary. But I think you current translation is good.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thanks @"Heart Shaped Box". Yes, I got the groups mixed up now that I read what I wrote haha; I meant group 4.

I literally am making up sentences as I go along so I wasn't sure how the translations would apply. Does the "not" trigger anything in the translation part? I guess when I look at the sentence after writing it, it would not translate back if I'm using the group 4 rule.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited April 2017 2426 karma

If "not" suggests in a sense of "no" or "none", then yes, it would trigger in terms of translation bc it would become a legit logical indicator. The reason it doesn't apply to /G most W is bc the latter is an existential quantifier whereas the translation groups are under universal quantifiers, in which situation we would "get to" say things like "no green things are wet", in which case would be "G ---> /W". But if we say /G most W, then it's just speaking for a range of 51 to 100, so we can't really apply universal quantifiers translation rules under such situations. But like I said, your current translation looks great, when I read it, it matches perfectly to the statement of /G most W.

1723 karma

Ahhhhh!!! Now I see! So it depends on if it says "all", "most" or "some". That makes a lot more sense now! Thanks again for your help!!!

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@akeegs92 don't you just love that light bulb, ah ha moment when things just click?!

1723 karma

@tanes256 Yup! I hope to have a couple of those as I progress through mastering SA questions haha. Definitely will come in handy with general translations too!