Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Criminal Background

Im nervous that my past is going to haunt me while pursing law school and taking the bar. I had a minor consumption at 19 and public intox at 21. I had a driving suspended when I was 16 for some insurance problem that I had no idea about. Am I screwed? I am 28 now

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

No, you're not screwed. Far from it.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

Just disclose everything. The only way you get screwed is if you don't disclose, and they end up finding out on their own. They will think you were trying to hide it from them. They don't care about drinking offenses when you were in college.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

No way man. Someone just graduated Yale after being convicted of a carjacking when they were 16 or something. I think you are good :)

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Be 100% open in your applications and even considering weaving that part of your past into your personal statement (or perhaps an addendum). You could say how you've matured, blah blah blah. No need to hide from this sort of stuff because it's part of the journey that has brought you to law school.

• Adam JarmanAdam Jarman Member
    19 karma

Thank you everyone for the supportive comments. I have a strong upward trend of changing my life around by staying clean, working for the department of Child Services and as a Correctional officer for a prison. I also volunteered in Haiti as well as solid grades in college. I figured I could turn this into a positive thing. Thanks again all