Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Group 3 Indicator Confusion

melodienasrmelodienasr Alum Member
edited May 2017 in Logical Reasoning 8 karma

Hi everyone. I'm having trouble following the rules to translate a sentence with a group 3 indicator. The lesson states that it doesn't matter which term you put as the sufficient condition at first, as the result will be the same - you negate one of the terms, and then create the counter-positive. I keep seeing 4 possible outcomes. Here's what I mean.

If you have the sentence: There is no reward without hard work.

"no reward" is /R; "hard work" is HW

Let's say we choose /R as the sufficient condition:

/R --> HW

To negate, you could either do:

/R --> /HW OR R --> HW (negate the "no reward")

That gives us the counter positives: HW --> R and /HW --> /R (If there is hard work, then there is a reward. If there is no hard work, then there is no reward)

Lets say you choose HW as the sufficient condition:

HW --> /R

To negate, you could either do:

/HW --> /R OR HW --> R

That gives counter positives: R --> HW and /R -- /HW (If there is a reward, then there is hard work. If there is no reward, there is no hard work)

Any suggestions for someone struggling with the required intuition to crack this?

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Hi!

For group 3, you can choose either term as the sufficient condition, but you must negate the sufficient condition, not the necessary condition. So in your example, you could choose either hard work or no reward as the sufficient condition, but you must negate that. You'll then end up either with R->HW or not HaW --> not R.

Hope that helps!

• melodienasrmelodienasr Alum Member
    8 karma

@uhinberg said:

Hope that helps!

It helps a ton - thank you so much!

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

Yes, alway and only negate the term you choose as Sufficient condition for group 3. That's all.