Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need help

kdn1991kdn1991 Free Trial Member
edited May 2017 in General 4 karma

So I took the practice LSAT test from 2008 and scored a whopping 134. I have a 3.76 cumulative GPA from my undergraduate so I know I'm not dumb. I'm trying to get into Texas Tech Law school this Fall 17 so I need at least a 150. I am lost, I do not know where to start studying with the LSAT. Not going to lie, the pre-test discourages me quite some, I feel dumb. I need help, If anyone doesn't mind sharing some wisdom with me on how to study, what to study, and how to get a decent score on the LSAT. I take the June 12th LSAT so I have about a month to study. Thank!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I'm sure you will get good advice from people (who knows LSAT better than I do) in this thread. I strongly recommend starting a 7Sage course, but first let me ask you some questions so that people can give you good advice:

@kdn1991 said:
    I'm trying to get into Texas Tech Law school this Fall 17 so I need at least a 150. I am lost, I do not know where to start studying with the LSAT.

Do you mean that you already applied or they will be accepting applications until the end of July (and they accept June LSAT scores)?

so I need at least a 150. I am lost, I do not know where to start studying with the LSAT.

How well did you do in each section? (For example, was it like LR: 7 LR: 10 LG: 7 RC: 7 or like LR: 5 LR: 5 LG:4 RC:17)

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I do not look at the LSAT as a test of whether someone is "dumb" or not and I don't think many people do. I look at it more akin to a language exam or a boxing match: something where skills such as strength in conditional logic, reading for grammatical structure and familiarity with specific operations performed for specific questions is sharpened during practice over a period of time and eventually used on test day. The truth is: logic games are not something people are normally familiar with and these skills take time to develop. The truth is: almost every facet of this exam is something that for the people I know, had to be developed in a way the correct verb formulations in a new language one is learning have to be developed or the proper way to throw a punch in boxing with one's weight behind the punch needs to be developed: through a systematic approach of understanding and practice coupled with the expertise of a community whose experiences one can draw from (teachers/mentors/coaches/tutors etc.)

I think for someone to say on the basis of a PT that they feel dumb is the equivalent of me feeling dumb because I do not possess the skills necessary to seamlessly go about my day in a society that speaks French. My inability to correctly order lunch, ask for directions or even read in such a context does not make me "dumb" it just means I must begin to acquire the skills necessary. In short: a practice test never indicates that we are dumb. A practice test simply indicates to us what it is we need to strengthen.

That caveat aside, you have come to the right place for help on this exam. Not knowing your entire situation, I will limit my comments of where to go from here to the following:

-If possible, invest in a course through 7Sage
    -learn conditional logic
    f-ocus on the games in the 1-35 PT set until you have acquired a comfortability with the basics
    -adopt a strategy you are comfortable with for RC and Blind Review RC thoroughly
    -ask any and all questions on the comment sections of specific questions in the course or on the forum boards
    -reach out to a tutor if you need

In summation, you are going to hear the phrase "a month is not a whole lot of time," a few times on this thread. This is in my estimation the truth. Facing that truth, you are going to hear: "please consider postponing your exam until you are ready."

Any further questions please don't hesitate to reach out other on here or through private message

David

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@genuinely said:
    So I took the practice LSAT test from 2008 and scored a whopping 134. I have a 3.76 cumulative GPA from my undergraduate so I know I'm not dumb. I'm trying to get into Texas Tech Law school this Fall 17 so I need at least a 150. I am lost, I do not know where to start studying with the LSAT. Not going to lie, the pre-test discourages me quite some, I feel dumb. I need help, If anyone doesn't mind sharing some wisdom with me on how to study, what to study, and how to get a decent score on the LSAT. I take the June 12th LSAT so I have about a month to study. Thank!

Don't let a diagnostic test discourage you from setting a high goal and reaching it. Imagine taking your final exam for a college course the first day of class... It wouldn't mean you are dumb if you failed. It just means you need to study. The LSAT is a very learnable test. If you can swing a 3.7 I bet with some work you can score in the 160s/170s.

I think your pre-test score should discourage you from taking the test in a month. What would possess you to take the test in a month after scoring a 134? I'm not being flippant, but I am genuinely wondering what reason(s) you have for doing so?

If it is because you want to go this year, or really because you want anything other than to get a respectable score, then it is objectively a bad reason. Law school will still be there. And while a 150 may get you into Texas Tech, it will likely be at or near sticker price. Don't aim for the minimum you need to get in. With a 3.7x GPA you could easily get into a T13 law school with a good LSAT. OR at the very least go to Texas Tech with a full scholarship.

How to study:

• Watch some of the webinars of the 7Sagers who scored 170+ I think it's encouraging to see where they started and how they approached their LSAT prep.

https://7sage.com/webinar/

• Sign up for a 7Sage course and carefully complete the curriculum and problem sets.

https://7sage.com/enroll/

• Spend the necessary time to internalize and master the fundamentals. This is the most important thing when studying. Everything builds on a few major foundational lessons.

• Take the test when the average of your last 5 or so exams are whatever score you would be happy with seeing. Miracles don't happen on this test; you get the score you work for.

Good luck :)

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2017 4141 karma

Yeah @kdn1991 I'm inclined to agree with you, It just means you haven't learned the skills you need to do well on the lsat. That's okay! The lsat is a really learnable test --not some measure of inate intelligence. You just have to put in time to improve and build the skills you need.

I love how @BinghamtonDave put it. Spend time with test prep curriculum that will teach you the skills that you need to improve.

• KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    172 karma

Hey there,

First of all, you're not dumb. The LSAT is an exam that asses how you think, and is not an IQ test. Yes, you'll need a basic level of IQ to successfully take it with the score you want, but you need to train for it. It's like running a race. You already have the muscles you need, you just need to train your body for the speed and endurance. It just takes time and practice to get down. I know it's tempting to look at the one diagnostic test and say "wow, really?" and feel down, but remember: it's a diagnostic. No one does well on their first diagnostic. It's not an indication of how intelligent you are, it's just an indication that you (like 99.99999% of test takers) need to study before getting your ideal score. Just keep studying and try to stay positive.

As far as how long you have to study, I have to agree with the previous commenters in that you'll need more than one month. Do you really need to start this Fall? Of course there are circumstances in your life that I don't know, but if it's at all possible, I recommend you put off the LSAT until at least September and just defer going to LS until a the Fall of 2018.

As far as studying and getting started, here's my two cents:

1. Sign up for a 7Sage class
    2. Use the PowerScore Bibles to get the basics down or use the Manhattan Prep books for the basics. (I started out with the PowerScore books and they helped me decently with the LR, but I didn't make significant gains in my LG score until I went through the Manhattan Prep LG book).
    3. Drill using the old PTs.

If you feel like it's one particular question type in the LR section, I'd recommend using Fox's Logical Reasoning Encyclopedia to drill particular question types. Just remember to not solely drill on specific question types. Make sure you're doing entire section drills to build endurance and the agility required to jump from question type to question type.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Yeah, your diagnostic definitely doesn't reflect your intelligence, so really, don't be down on yourself over that. I scored about 25 points above my diagnostic. I agree with previous posters that it can't be done in a month, so just be at peace with whatever your backup plan is. You missed the boat on this one, and that's fine. There's another one right behind it.

As far as where to start, I'd recommend the 7Sage starter course.

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

Heey! I started just like you last summer and let me tell you I was discouraged. I spent a full week just googling if you can even go up from 130s on lsat.
    I've been studying on and off id say for 6-7 months (I don't recommend doing that, idk why I did it tbh- just distracted after graduating) I'm into the 150s now and BR at 164.
    You can totally do 150 on the exam but aim to do your best just like you did in undergrad.
    Anyways don't discourage yourself from a low diagnostic. Some people I talked to told me the max I would do was high 140s. I guess they where just hella negative. Don't think like that and don't listen to people like that. They don't know shit.
    Also don't compare yourself with others :)
    Start with the CC on 7sage and work hard. You're in for A LOT of work.
    Gooodluck!

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    656 karma

@kdn1991

Hey, there!

Don't ever let a standardized test make you doubt your intelligence. The LSAT is not a test of intelligence, but a test of conformity, of how well you have adapted yourself to the particular test. You just need a plan of attack and to be able to stick to it.

I must ask you for how long have you been studying and with what methods did you use thus far?
    As you mention that you "do not know where to start studying with the LSAT," I am guessing that you haven't put much time into prep work. I made this very mistake just a few months ago, thinking that between my graduation date in mid-December and February 4th test date that I could conquer the LSAT and get into school. In the midst of holiday festivities, over the course of about 9.5 weeks, I rushed through Mike Kim's "The LSAT Trainer" as it is the most consolidated test prep on the market. I was very wrong. Though I worked my butt off and studied at every chance that I could get, finishing the Trainer with a complete outline of it, and 18 PT's my scores weren't on par (147). I had to come to the terms with the fact that to adequately prepare, I had to put forth a lot of effort, and delay my admissions for another year, taking these next few months to study for the LSAT.

If you are absolutely set on June 12, I would say to purchase The LSAT Trainer and work through it as that is the most consolidated and most comprehensive resource on the market. However, I would strongly suggest that a months time isn't enough for a 16 point increase unless for some reason, your diagnostic was a fluke. The honest fact of the matter is that you may need more time to prepare. I have never heard of anyone walking into the LSAT and getting their goal score without sufficient prep.

From my own LSAT journey, I have come to terms with the fact that you must first learn the logic of the exam itself before PT-ing. Establishing fundamental knowledge and viewing the questions with the right perspective are a strongly guiding force in your navigation of the LSAT. I would not suggest PowerScore or any of those crash course 6-week in person prep classes. Various companies provide rather different approaches to question types, but really, you have to find one that works for you so that it clicks and translates from theory to practice.

To study for the LSAT you need direction, and an approach where the information translates from theory to practice. If you are willing to delay admissions until next cycle, I would suggest purchasing a 7Sage course. Guidance is key in building fundamentals, sticking to a study schedule, and staying motivated. Having things explained to me, especially the logic of individual questions and why the correct answer is so, and why the wrong ones are wrong, makes a world of difference when studying. It is an invaluable resource when studying for the LSAT. There's no sense in playing a guessing game as to why you are getting questions wrong.

Studying for the LSAT requires consistency. I have fallen off the LSAT wagon plenty of times over the past year, and I have to say that you must continuously study to maintain momentum. If you take too long off, you set your self back tremendously. Three to six months (at least) should be sufficient for you to commit to preparing.

You have to study fundamentals first. There is absolutely no way around this and your score won't improve otherwise. It is the slower, more exhausting part of studying, but definitely the most necessary. Learn the question types and what to spot for in correct and amongst wrong answers according to the question types, especially for LR (logical reasoning). For LG (logic games), learn notation methods and familiarize yourself with a variety of games. For RC (reading comprehension), learn how to read the passages at a fast pace, to understand structure and logic, and not necessarily content, and knowing where to focus your attention among the passages.

Depending on how long you put into studying, use older prep tests first and move up to the newer ones since there are a finite number of PT's; don't waste them. I made this mistake as well when I first began.

Anyhow, I would encourage you to weigh your options of delaying application. If you are unwilling, the best I can offer to you is The LSAT Trainer, do some PT's, and watch all of the videos for logic games available for free from 7Sage.