Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stick with June Test or Postpone to September

J ArandaJ Aranda Member
in General 48 karma

June will be the first time I'm taking it. I'm shooting for 155-160, but I'll be happy with 150. Been PTing around 144. Haven't even started studying for Logic Games, but I figured I'd do that now and in between then. But the window to postpone and switch is quickly closing. I'd rather have one good score, than 2 scores. Someone said it's better to not have all your eggs in one basket, like if I were to just do September, but I also don't want to go in and do poorly and it reflect badly on me, when I apply this fall.

What should I do?

Thank you

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"J Aranda" said:
    June will be the first time I'm taking it. I'm shooting for 155-160, but I'll be happy with 150. Been PTing around 144. Haven't even started studying for Logic Games, but I figured I'd do that now and in between then. But the window to postpone and switch is quickly closing. I'd rather have one good score, than 2 scores. Someone said it's better to not have all your eggs in one basket, like if I were to just do September, but I also don't want to go in and do poorly and it reflect badly on me, when I apply this fall.

What should I do?

Thank you

Definitely postpone. If you haven't even started with LG there's no way you can say you have a good understanding of all of the content before then. And I think expecting an increase of 15-20 points in that little time is also incredibly lofty (im counting for a few points off your best PT due to game day jitters that are real and definitely exist). I think if you pushed back to Sept you can definitely expect a 15-20 point rise, especially if a lot of your missed points are in LG currently. It just takes time to master that part of the test, and you can't rush mastering it unfortunately.

Don't rush into taking the test and underperforming. You only get 3 takes every 2 years; you don't want to waste one.

• J ArandaJ Aranda Member
    48 karma

That's my thought as well. I'd rather feel confident going in. Thank you for your input.

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

Hey! if 155-160 is your score, you should be PTing at least close to that - in the 150s. What is your BR score?
    LG takes a while to learn, and a lot of practice. It really depends on how fast you learn it. but it took me a full one month full time studying to learn it. But it depends person to person I guess.
    Have you finished the CC?
    In terms of if you should write it, I mean studying for this test is time consuming, do you think you can learn and practice and be ready by June? I find that learning and practicing are two completely different phases to this exam. You should be practicing (PTing) near exam date.
    I personally am going to write it in June and rewrite it in September. And apply to Canadian schools right after the September exam. For me, I know I will do better in September BUT I want to see what it's like writing it! It takes some of the anxiety away from me and the nerves away so I can do better in September. That being said, my goal is 160, and I am PTing around 155ish and BR in mid 160s. If I get 155 on the real thing in June, I am not going to be too disappointed because I am certain by September, I will be able to do my 160. Ontario schools mostly take highest score, so I'm not worried.
    So this really depends person to person. Does the school take your highest score? But with all this being said, I don't think you should take it, if you are PTing under 150s. Try to hit your target score on PTs.

48 karma

I'm sorry I meant that 155-160 is my goal score. I'm not PTing there just yet. I'm in the mid 140's. I haven't finished the CC yet, which is just more reason to postpone. I'm just getting ready to finish the LR portion of the CC.

I'd really like to take my time and learn LG, right, instead of rushing.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2017 23929 karma

@"J Aranda" said:

What should I do?

Thank you

Agree with the posters above.

If you've been PT'ing around a 144 you should stop PT'ing. You said you haven't even begun to start studying for 1/3rd of the test, so finish the CC and then begin PT'ing again.

Take the test when you finish the course and are consistently PT'ing at or ideally above what you would be happy with on the real thing. If a 155-160 is your goal, I think September/December 2017 gives you a much better shot.

You'll almost certainly do poorly with respect to your goal if you rush and take in June. However, with the entire summer to prep (and possibly fall) you'll almost certainly be able to hit 155-160. Heck, your goal might even go up once you see what you are capable of :)

48 karma

I went ahead and changed the date. LSAC said there was a "small fee" to change the date, that ended up being $100....but whatever, it's switched.

Others have given similar advice, so I'll hold off on doing anymore PT's until I'm done with the CC. Thank you for the advice.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Yay for September!!!

• VALKIRIAVALKIRIA Member
    16 karma

I am on a similar boat- not sure if to postpone or commit to June.... I have until the 16th to decide (today and... tomorrow)- Ahhhh!!!

I scored 163 on my last PT - great BUT it was not timed :( I feel as though I really need to work on speed! I do not know if June is enough to improve :neutral:

I don't know... regardless whether I do it now or in September, I can't get into the school that I am shooting for until next October... but at the same time, I don't want to feel as though I keep on postponing...I want to do the LSAT and move on with my life (sort of speak). At the same time, I am a registered nurse and work Full-Time (M-F)- unfortunately, that does not leave me with me with much spare time to dedicate to studying.... so, I don't know... any advise/guidance would be welcomed.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@VALKIRIA said:
    I am on a similar boat- not sure if to postpone or commit to June.... I have until the 16th to decide (today and... tomorrow)- Ahhhh!!!

I scored 163 on my last PT - great BUT it was not timed :( I feel as though I really need to work on speed! I do not know if June is enough to improve :neutral:

I don't know... regardless whether I do it now or in September, I can't get into the school that I am shooting for until next October... but at the same time, I don't want to feel as though I keep on postponing...I want to do the LSAT and move on with my life (sort of speak). At the same time, I am a registered nurse and work Full-Time (M-F)- unfortunately, that does not leave me with me with much spare time to dedicate to studying.... so, I don't know... any advise/guidance would be welcomed.

What's your goal score? Getting a 163 from untimed to timed will be a sizable increase, one that will take time. It's typically recommended to be a few points above your target score to allow for nervousness to shave a few points off. I would recommend doing a strictly timed test in the next day so that you have time to change your test date if necessary.

• BreakthelsatBreakthelsat Member
    82 karma

You need a good few month to get a hang of LG! Definitely postpone! Been there done that...