Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To delay or not to delay Feb test to June test? Weigh in!

dreamlawschooldreamlawschool Alum Member
edited February 2016 in February 2016 LSAT 139 karma
I am retaking the test for a second time and have just come off an intense run with testmasters, but as you've some people here have pointed out so well, each test prep source has its own strengths/weaknesses. The first time I sat for the test, I was seriously underprepared and scored a 153, which was devastating. After recovering from that, I took up a testmasters tutoring course, and now I'm scoring higher, in the mid to high160's, but my scores on practice tests tend to fluctuate quite a bit and I also tend to struggle with keeping time, so most of these scores are not based on true test taking conditions (I think I'd score much lower in reality because as things are going I rarely tend to finish a section under 35 minutes!). Now I'm tempted to consider pushing back my scheduled test date (February 6th to June 6th) so that I can try out this blind review method... However I should say that I think pushing back the test will only be worth the sacrifice in time if this method is truly likely to help me significantly increase my score (ideally breaking into the low to mid 170's). Do you think I should do it? I would appreciate any thoughts/advice on this!


  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    I would take a test in true test conditions first because a score without those conditions is not very meaningful. 7 sage has a phone app that has a proctor function, which works great to time your tests.

    It is pretty difficult for anyone to say where you will be scoring come June. It takes some people much longer to get to the 170s then others. But, if you truly are scoring in the high 160s I would say it could be feasible to reach in June.
  • lalafiggylalafiggy Free Trial Member
    82 karma
    I think you know what you want to do. Postpone!

    That being said, BR will only work if you do a lot of it, so you have to put in you part too! : )
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    If you have to ask, you know the answer. Confidence is such an important aspect of doing well on this test. Keep at it for four more months, and gain that much-needed confidence.
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    edited February 2016 318 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    If you have to ask, you know the answer. Confidence is such an important aspect of doing well on this test. Keep at it for four more months, and gain that much-needed confidence.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @shannonv1029 I know you are saying that postponing would be worth the sacrifice if you believed that it would help you score into the 170's, but with the risk of sounding harsh, I don't quite see what you'd be sacrificing. From the limited information you provided, you haven't taken many (if any) PT's under strict test conditions. Your scores under loose time constraints and with no pressure are in the mid-160's, with high variability and you believe you'd be scoring "much lower" under test conditions. If all of this is true, then you're looking at a marginal improvement at best over your existing 153, and you would have used up a second attempt.
    There's really very little upside to taking February, and even if you don't get to the 170's by June, you are a lot more likely to see a meaningful improvement over 153 than you would be taking next Saturday.
    If you do end up postponing, I think most people on this site would advise you to stop burning through PT's under anything less than strictly timed conditions. Go through the curriculum, do the drills untimed if need be, and then move on to timed PT's. The BR process is there to show you how you would have done if the time constraints were removed, so there's really no reason to take untimed (or kind-of-timed) PT's.
    Good luck and I hope you do get that 170+ in June!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2016 2086 karma
    Hold up! Wait a minute! You were considering taking the real thing BEFORE trying BR? Push it back!
    Rule of thumb, if you haven't scored at or above your target range at least 8 (arbitrary number) times, then don't take the upcoming test. It took losing a bunch of cash for me to realize that you don't schedule the test, THEN aim to score in your target range.
    Determine your target range (what score you need in order to get into your top schools), bust open the books...or in this case, turn on the computer, PT until you reach that target score. Then, PT some more until you are consistently scoring in that range. Finally, schedule your test.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Everyone's given solid advice I really like what @MrSamIam says.

    Get the prep where it needs to be, then schedule the test. It's so tempting to schedule a take hoping that the looming pressure of the test date will make you achieve your score. That might work for some, but knowing you actually are ready to take the test is so much better than rushing to try to hit a deadline. Plus once you master the test, your skills will remain.

    Not only will you save test registrations fees you'll have peace of mind knowing your testing skills are on point.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    Can you postpone the test now? Have you checked the deadline to postpone the test? That said, your Feb score won't make it for this cycle. I don't see why you need to rush.

    I agree with a post from above - the rumor of 3 points drop from PT scores on average was about right for me. Sitting in a test before did not help calm my nerves.
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    The deadline to change test date has passed, but you can withdrawal up till Feb 5th
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @cjones76 said:

    Yep, just make sure you do it before 11:59pm EST time. so 8:59pm PST. If you miss this, the only other option to not waste a take is an A - Absence (which will not count against your total takes, but will show up on scores sheets. A Withdraw does not show up.
  • dreamlawschooldreamlawschool Alum Member
    139 karma
    Thanks to everyone for the advice!! All of it has been incredibly helpful. I've decided to postpone (by withdrawing from this weekend's test) to focus on getting my LSAT skills honed to exactly where they need to be for next time.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Great Decision! Let's both get this done for June!!
Sign In or Register to comment.