Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about LSAC GPA for veterans

asaunders2010asaunders2010 Member
in General 26 karma

I am a veteran, and I received 18 total credits for my time served. On my transcript they show up as "TR". They do count toward my undergrad degree, but obviously there is no GPA associated. They aren't from another school so I can't just ask someone for a transcript. I guess my question is, are these credits just not counted?

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Bumping this so more people can see

• asaunders2010asaunders2010 Member
    26 karma

Thank you. Every site I found, they all said any credits toward your undergrad count for LSAC. I guess a part of me is hoping I get a 4.0 for those credits

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I don't really know about your situation, but since you received credit, did you also receive grades?

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Purely speculative, but I think the credits will most likely be added; however, since you didn't actually receive a grade for these classes, it won't help or hurt your GPA

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited May 2017 2301 karma

I also am not sure about the answer. However, the LSAC's GPA calculation does not include classes that have no grade associated with them. I had a lab class that was not graded and it did not impact my GPA in any way. Therefore, I expect that these credits will neither help nor hurt your GPA. However, the credit itself might show up on the LSAC undergraduate report that is sent to law schools, which would still impress the schools even if it does not help your GPA. I would advise you to call LSAC to discuss this issue. The number is (215) 968-1001. Their helpline is very good and the people are friendly.

Unfortunately, situations like this can be unfair. Thank you for your service. I wish it counted as an A and boosted your GPA. Thankfully, you are on a great website to study for the LSAT, if you have not taken it already.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@asaunders2010 said:
    I am a veteran, and I received 18 total credits for my time served. On my transcript they show up as "TR". They do count toward my undergrad degree, but obviously there is no GPA associated. They aren't from another school so I can't just ask someone for a transcript. I guess my question is, are these credits just not counted?

No, they won't be counted if no grade is associated with them. I remember seeing a similar thread/question that addressed this on TLS not too long ago.

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1018 karma

Thank you for your service! <3

If the credits are not graded, and not part of your GPA, I'd be certain that they are included somewhere in the report from LSAC that goes to all schools you apply for. These credits are particularly noteworthy. In my opinion, your military service credits should be counted as valuable and character-building as service to community times infinity because service to community doesn't usually involve laying down one's life (if it comes to that) for your community.

Perhaps you should include your military service credits in your personal statement, whether they're part of the LSAC report or not. No doubt the reason(s) for the credits helped to mold your character and impacted your decision to go to law school.

As Daniel advises above, certainly call LSAC. If they're friendly, they will hopefully do as much as they can to help you receive what you need for your best application package(s).