Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finished 2 Curriculums, Still Low PT. Now What?

kzeng826kzeng826 Alum Member
in General 31 karma

I finished all the Powerscore Bibles and went through the whole 7Sage core curriculum.

I have PT'd from 36-44 and my timed scores are only averaging in the low 150s (150-152). I am BRing around low 160s.

My weakest area is definitely LR in terms of accuracy. However, during timed sessions, I find timing and speedto be the biggest obstacle regardless of section. Most of the time, I will not be able to finish a whole RC passage and also likely not be able to finish a LG game (around 14 points gone right there). For the games, I usually have 5-8 minutes left for the last game but unable to even start it because I don't know how to diagram. These games are generally in the "Misc" category.

I also go through all the explanations for questions I got wrong/unsure of and make detailed notes of why the answer is right and wrong.

Should I continue PTing? I am taking the June exam but unsure if continued PTing will increase my score. I don't mind if the increase is gradual if I continue to PT, but I just want to make sure I am making the most out of my time. I am a bit averse to taking another course as I understand the technique to attack each question but I feel the time constraint is the main issue I am having.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can probably tell, I am in a big dilemma...

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Hey Kevin,

You're just in time for @"Cant Get Right" 's Webinar for those who have completed the CC. You should attend to gain a great perspective on what path to take from now :)
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11186/so-im-done-with-the-curriculum-now-what-with-sage-josh-saturday-may-27-7pm-edt

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2017 23929 karma

@kzeng826 said:
    I finished all the Powerscore Bibles and went through the whole 7Sage core curriculum.

I have PT'd from 36-44 and my timed scores are only averaging in the low 150s (150-152). I am BRing around low 160s.

My weakest area is definitely LR in terms of accuracy. However, during timed sessions, I find timing and speedto be the biggest obstacle regardless of section. Most of the time, I will not be able to finish a whole RC passage and also likely not be able to finish a LG game (around 14 points gone right there). For the games, I usually have 5-8 minutes left for the last game but unable to even start it because I don't know how to diagram. These games are generally in the "Misc" category.

I also go through all the explanations for questions I got wrong/unsure of and make detailed notes of why the answer is right and wrong.

Should I continue PTing? I am taking the June exam but unsure if continued PTing will increase my score. I don't mind if the increase is gradual if I continue to PT, but I just want to make sure I am making the most out of my time. I am a bit averse to taking another course as I understand the technique to attack each question but I feel the time constraint is the main issue I am having.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you can probably tell, I am in a big dilemma...

Thanks,

Kevin

You're taking the June exam? What score are you hoping to hit by then?

Unless you would be happy with a ~150, I HIGHLY suggest postponing until you have the proper time to figure out what your weak area are, address them, and take all of the recent LSATs (60s, 70s, PT80)

It seems like you have weaknesses across all of the sections, so give yourself the chance to achieve what you're capable of -- which I know is better than whatever you'll get should you take in June.

Also, you should consider going through the old games where Misc games appear more often.

Lastly, how much have you drilled questions types, games, and RC passages before you started PT'ing?

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

Agree that you should wait until September at the earliest to take the test.

Since timing seems to be your Public Enemy #1, you should be focusing almost entirely on drilling. I think it is absolutely necessary for most people to drill the shit out of difficult logic games before you can reliably get through all of the games in a section under time. Drilling helps you identify the types of games you struggle with, and it also helps you build an intuition for mapping rules, deciding on the best gameboard, tackling certain answer choices first, and knowing how much time you can invest into different games in a set.

The same goes for RC, although you can improve your LG timing far more reliably than RC. I boosted my RC timing by spending ~3 mins reading each passage (I used to spend a lot less, thinking it'd be better to save time for the questions) and then skipping questions that would take more than ~45 seconds to solve. At that point, you'll probably miss it anyway.

Before I drilled intensely everyday for about two weeks, I would consistently miss about 7 every test. After those two weeks, I could get through the games under time, but would always make multiple careless mistakes in every set. After another week, I got to the point where I could consistently complete LG sections in under 35 minutes, getting all or all but one correct.

My advice for drilling:
    --> Check Analytics to see the types of games you struggle the most with -- focus first on these
    --> Do the problem sets in the core curriculum -- time each and every one individually -- if you miss any or complete it in under the suggested time under the explanation video, mark it, and do it again later that day or the next day
    --> Repeat

After you drill, you'll still have problems. The biggest one: while drilling you have the benefit of knowing the type of game you are tackling at any given time, and therefore (usually) the type of gameboard you'll need to huge. Because of that, you'll benefit from drilling past sections as well (PT 1-35), so you can learn to manage your time, keep your cool, and be flexible with your gameboards under testing conditions.

• kzeng826kzeng826 Alum Member
    31 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@kzeng826 said:

Thanks,

Kevin

Unless you would be happy with a ~150, I HIGHLY suggest postponing until you have the proper time to figure out what your weak area are, address them, and take all of the recent LSATs (60s, 70s, PT80)

It seems like you have weaknesses across all of the sections, so give yourself the chance to achieve what you're capable of -- which I know is better than whatever you'll get should you take in June.

Also, you should consider going through the old games where Misc games appear more often.

Lastly, how much have you drilled questions types, games, and RC passages before you started PT'ing?

Hey Alex,

Thank you for the insight. I am definitely not happy with a 150 but June is the only option I have. If I don't hit the high 150s on the actual exam, I will be studying abroad. So June is either do or die for me. I have been studying for the LSAT for around 4 months now.

I haven't drilled at all TBH, I've heard mixed opinions about drilling and some say just to hit the PTs and recognize patterns as I go. Although I may give drilling a shot since I am at wits end.

Any specific tips for drilling?

Thanks so much!

31 karma

@btmccartney said:
    Agree that you should wait until September at the earliest to take the test.

Since timing seems to be your Public Enemy #1, you should be focusing almost entirely on drilling. I think it is absolutely necessary for most people to drill the shit out of difficult logic games before you can reliably get through all of the games in a section under time. Drilling helps you identify the types of games you struggle with, and it also helps you build an intuition for mapping rules, deciding on the best gameboard, tackling certain answer choices first, and knowing how much time you can invest into different games in a set.

The same goes for RC, although you can improve your LG timing far more reliably than RC. I boosted my RC timing by spending ~3 mins reading each passage (I used to spend a lot less, thinking it'd be better to save time for the questions) and then skipping questions that would take more than ~45 seconds to solve. At that point, you'll probably miss it anyway.

Before I drilled intensely everyday for about two weeks, I would consistently miss about 7 every test. After those two weeks, I could get through the games under time, but would always make multiple careless mistakes in every set. After another week, I got to the point where I could consistently complete LG sections in under 35 minutes, getting all or all but one correct.

My advice for drilling:
    --> Check Analytics to see the types of games you struggle the most with -- focus first on these
    --> Do the problem sets in the core curriculum -- time each and every one individually -- if you miss any or complete it in under the suggested time under the explanation video, mark it, and do it again later that day or the next day
    --> Repeat

After you drill, you'll still have problems. The biggest one: while drilling you have the benefit of knowing the type of game you are tackling at any given time, and therefore (usually) the type of gameboard you'll need to huge. Because of that, you'll benefit from drilling past sections as well (PT 1-35), so you can learn to manage your time, keep your cool, and be flexible with your gameboards under testing conditions.

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it :)

It seems that June is do or die for me.

Do you think drilling for LR is also a good idea? Any tips on how to do that? I've heard mixed reviews about drilling, some swear by it while others say it's unrealistic to drill.

Thanks again!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kzeng826 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@kzeng826 said:

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey Alex,

Thank you for the insight. I am definitely not happy with a 150 but June is the only option I have. If I don't hit the high 150s on the actual exam, I will be studying abroad. So June is either do or die for me. I have been studying for the LSAT for around 4 months now.

I haven't drilled at all TBH, I've heard mixed opinions about drilling and some say just to hit the PTs and recognize patterns as I go. Although I may give drilling a shot since I am at wits end.

Thanks so much!

No problem!

June isn't the only option you have, it's just the only option you've given yourself. Law school isn't going anywhere. Although there are no unlimited LSAT takes, having a low LSAT won't help your chances at gaining admission to law school.

You should absolutely drill more before moving on to PT's, though. Doing targeted drilling allows you to internalize patterns and get good at solving specific question types. Patterns are a big, big part to this test.

Drilling tips:
    Do them timed, then BR.
    Spend as much time as you need to review them BEFORE turning to explanations.
    Keep a journal of weaknesses and list of questions you missed.
    Return to the 7Sage curriculum and re-watch the lessons on any question types you're having trouble with. Sometimes I had to review these lessons 2-3 times before it finally clicked

Good luck :)

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

June is not do or die.

June is die or die. I don't mean to offend you but I think you need some really blunt advice. You can go ahead and take the June LSAT, but it's less than three weeks away. You are unlikely to score higher than your practice tests. A score of 150-153 on the LSAT is not sufficient to get into law schools except for those of the lowest rank. These law schools are extraordinarily risky for students. They will cost you a tremendous amount and they will be unlikely to equip you with the knowledge and network needed to pass the bar or find a job as a lawyer. You would be more than likely to find yourself having spent 3 years accumulating a debt between $150,000-300,000 and no job to pay it back.

The alternative is to simply wait, figure out an effective study plan, and score highly on the LSAT. This can be accomplished by nearly everyone, including you.

With the new LSAC policy of unlimited takes, and law schools not caring about previous low scores, you can go ahead and take the June LSAT. But I really, really want to caution you against applying to law school with a score in the 150-152 range. Truly, for your own long term health and success, attending a law school that will accept this score is dangerous and should not be done.

I am not writing this to discourage you; you have the potential to score highly.

31 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@kzeng826 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@kzeng826 said:

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey Alex,

Thanks so much!

No problem!

June isn't the only option you have, it's just the only option you've given yourself. Law school isn't going anywhere. Although there are no unlimited LSAT takes, having a low LSAT won't help your chances at gaining admission to law school.

You should absolutely drill more before moving on to PT's, though. Doing targeted drilling allows you to internalize patterns and get good at solving specific question types. Patterns are a big, big part to this test.

Drilling tips:
    Do them timed, then BR.
    Spend as much time as you need to review them BEFORE turning to explanations.
    Keep a journal of weaknesses and list of questions you missed.
    Return to the 7Sage curriculum and re-watch the lessons on any question types you're having trouble with. Sometimes I had to review these lessons 2-3 times before it finally clicked

Good luck :)

Hi Alex,

Is there any good way to drill a specific section without having the Ultimate or Ultimate+ packages?

Thanks so much once again!

31 karma

@AllezAllez21 said:
    June is not do or die.

June is die or die. I don't mean to offend you but I think you need some really blunt advice. You can go ahead and take the June LSAT, but it's less than three weeks away. You are unlikely to score higher than your practice tests. A score of 150-153 on the LSAT is not sufficient to get into law schools except for those of the lowest rank. These law schools are extraordinarily risky for students. They will cost you a tremendous amount and they will be unlikely to equip you with the knowledge and network needed to pass the bar or find a job as a lawyer. You would be more than likely to find yourself having spent 3 years accumulating a debt between $150,000-300,000 and no job to pay it back.

The alternative is to simply wait, figure out an effective study plan, and score highly on the LSAT. This can be accomplished by nearly everyone, including you.

With the new LSAC policy of unlimited takes, and law schools not caring about previous low scores, you can go ahead and take the June LSAT. But I really, really want to caution you against applying to law school with a score in the 150-152 range. Truly, for your own long term health and success, attending a law school that will accept this score is dangerous and should not be done.

I am not writing this to discourage you; you have the potential to score highly.

Hey Allez,

Yea I definitely recognize that. No offence taken at all.

Definitely will not be applying with a low 150s that is just shooting myself in the leg. Going to try my best to muster whatever I can before the exam and try my best. Will reconsider my options post-June.

Thanks!