MOR-like Questions in RC

edited June 2017 in Reading Comprehension 22 karma

I seem to have trouble with MOR questions in RC sections.
For example:
PT 73 s1 Q22
Which one of the following most accurately describes the main purpose for which passage A was written and the main purpose for which B was written?
A Passage A: to propose a solution to a moral problem
passage B: to criticise a proposed solution to a moral problem
B Passage A: to sketch a general outline of a branch of moral theory
Passage B: to give a particular moral analysis of a real case
C passage A: to spell out the details of tow fundamental principle
Passage B: to examine a case that exemplifies a moral ideal
Q27
Which one of the following most accurately describes the difference in approach taken by passage A as compared to passage B?
and so on.

Well, you get the idea. I have noticed from PT 70s, it can get very confusing due to tiny details especially in comparative reading questions. If you have any insights as to how to approach such questions I would be grateful :)

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited June 2017 3072 karma

This isn't so much a 'method of reasoning' question as it is a 'purpose' question, which in my opinion is among the trickiest question types on the RC section. Whereas method questions ask you to identify how a sentence/paragraph/ passage achieves its effect, purpose questions ask you, in fact, what a sentence/paragraph/passage intends to achieve. Perhaps that clarification might help?

For the record, the question you've referenced is a difficult one. The answer choices are extremely nuanced and the passages it refers to are more nuanced still. I remember how much I struggled with it the first time.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

A mantra that I try to repeat to myself as I go through RC sections and that might help specifically with these types of questions, is to ask, "Why did the author write this?" If you can summarize not only the content of each paragraph as you go along but also the purpose behind it (i.e. reasoning structure), then you'll be golden for most questions thrown your way, the type you mention included.

That's the general answer. For these comparative reading questions specifically, I like to hone in on the passage that I feel I better grasped intuitively and go through all of the parts of the AC's pertaining to that passage first. For example, say in this question I understood passage A better than passage B (or, if you understand both, just choose one arbitrarily). Go through each AC and only read the description for passage A. You should be able to eliminate 1-3 AC's. Then, go back over the remaining AC's and evaluate them in terms of how they describe passage B. Theoretically, this should lead you to the correct answer. It's easier said than done, but this approach is one that helps me fly through this question type. With a little practice and essentially just exposure to more RC passages, you should be on your way to consistently getting these types of questions correct.

• 22 karma

@goingfor99th thanks!
    @Zachary_P I guess I need more practice because I try to keep aware of the reasoning structure but when I come upon a difficult concept say something about evolution, I get lost trying to understand its content that I forget about its reasoning structure. Thanks! Ugh comparative reading passages can be so frustrating.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

@studyingforthelsat If you haven't already tried it, I might suggest a different approach to the comparative reading. (I can't claim this strategy as my own, I just don't remember where I found it.) Instead of reading both passages and then moving to the AC's, read through one passage first then go through the AC's and eliminate answer choices based on your first read. Some questions you'll be able to answer; on other questions you'll be able to eliminate up to 3 AC's. Then, read the second passage and do the same thing. When done this way, it's basically approaching the whole two passages like an agree/disagree LR question.

I would give it a few tries on some older comparative reading sections before you fully commit. I find it works for me, but ultimately, a solid understanding of the reasoning structure no matter your approach is a necessary condition for doing well on RC!

• 22 karma

@Zachary_P This is so helpful :) I should try this approach on older passages.