Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of profession would you choose if not law?

AlexAlex Alum Member
edited June 2017 in General 23929 karma

If not law, what would you be pursuing career wise?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

I could give the boring answer like iBanking, but honestly I want to be and would try now to be a motivational speaker/coach. Also, author who writes about the subject of success and motivation.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Second thought: Maybe a musician, too. Heck, why can't I do both? :)

• emichaelemichael Member
    37 karma

A PhD in English Literature and Critical Theory! I'm a rising senior, and in the not-so-distant past considered a joint JD-PhD, too.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Awesome! what about that field interests you and why have you chosen law over pursuing it?

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Novelist, literature professor, or, possibly, a writer on a sit-com. I likes to write

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    Novelist, literature professor, or, possibly, a writer on a sit-com. I likes to write

Now that's pretty damn cool. I also have the writer's bug. I hope one day I can finish my book and be a NYT best seller. Never thought about TV sit-com, though. That's interesting.

• emichaelemichael Member
    37 karma

@"Alex Divine" Hard to explain succinctly. I think that when you have the urge to go to grad school, and in such an obscure field, you're somehow meant to be there; there are days when I can't picture myself doing anything else. There are so many downsides to academia, though, so many restrictions, that I question whether my love for literature and theory will dwindle if I'm struggling to get published all the time, and to get tenure. As for law school ... that's always also been a consideration. I've done debate and other competitive speech events for about eight years now, and something about it is invigorating. I think about language and rhetoric, and then I think about defense and persuasion, the intricacies of speech-writing ... I want to litigate, is what I mean.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@emichael said:
    @"Alex Divine" Hard to explain succinctly. I think that when you have the urge to go to grad school, and in such an obscure field, you're somehow meant to be there; there are days when I can't picture myself doing anything else. There are so many downsides to academia, though, so many restrictions, that I question whether my love for literature and theory will dwindle if I'm struggling to get published all the time, and to get tenure. As for law school ... that's always also been a consideration. I've done debate and other competitive speech events for about eight years now, and something about it is invigorating. I think about language and rhetoric, and then I think about defense and persuasion, the intricacies of speech-writing ... I want to litigate, is what I mean.

Sounds like you want to be a litigator or lawyer, lol.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I'd probably advance my psych degree and go for a PhD in forensic psychology. It's the field that got me most interested in a psych major.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

I think I'd pursue a PhD in Economics, specifically as it relates to domestic policy issues. Maybe I'd take it the academic route, but being a government economist/policy writer and analyst would be pretty rad.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:
    I'd probably advance my psych degree and go for a PhD in forensic psychology. It's the field that got me most interested in a psych major.

Ehhh Mikey, I never pegged you for a Psychology fella! That's really neat though. :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

@Zachary_P said:
    I think I'd pursue a PhD in Economics, specifically as it relates to domestic policy issues. Maybe I'd take it the academic route, but being a government economist/policy writer and analyst would be pretty rad.

A degree in Economics, in this economy!? Haha. I kid, I kid. Sounds like something I wouldn't actually mind doing. Though, I hated every Economics class I had* to take for my major, so maybe not. Too liberal, in my opinion.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

Ehhh Mikey, I never pegged you for a Psychology fella! That's really neat though. :)

Haha, yeah.. I like psych a lot, excluding the experimental and statistical crap I had to do haha.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Zachary_P said:

A degree in Economics, in this economy!? Haha. I kid, I kid. Sounds like something I wouldn't actually mind doing. Though, I hated every Economics class I had* to take for my major, so maybe not. Too liberal, in my opinion.

It'll kill you to learn that I'm also majoring in Philosophy and Theology then :wink: haha. I'm counting on law school for a degree that can actually get me a job. I've wanted to do law all along, so I feel somewhat justified in these less applicable but more thought-intensive majors.

• kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
    115 karma

If not law, I would definitely be doing something related to my passion, which is history. I've thought about teaching high school. I went to school originally with plans to work in public history and actually have worked at a bunch of amazing places like Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty. I wanted to be Dr. Chase from the movie National Treasure with Nicholas Cage! lol

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

I'd be doing what I'm currently doing; working in corporate accounting as a CPA. I'm no huge rush to commit to a law school since I like my work and I want to go to law school to become a tax attorney. Any additional experience I get will help in the job search after law school and help my application/application narrative, I think.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Accounts Playable" said:
    I'd be doing what I'm currently doing; working in corporate accounting as a CPA. I'm no huge rush to commit to a law school since I like my work and I want to go to law school to become a tax attorney. Any additional experience I get will help in the job search after law school and help my application/application narrative, I think.

I forgot you had your CPA from your Webinar. You're a boss, man. Prudent thinking that I know will pay off in dividends (no pun intended!)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kH573201 said:
    If not law, I would definitely be doing something related to my passion, which is history. I've thought about teaching high school. I went to school originally with plans to work in public history and actually have worked at a bunch of amazing places like Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty. I wanted to be Dr. Chase from the movie National Treasure with Nicholas Cage! lol

Yo! That sounds lit. History was always my favorite subject in high school and undergrad. Just something about it. I'd actually love to research and write history papers as weird as that sounds.

In all reality, if I wasn't going to law school I very might have gotten a PhD in History and been a professor.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Zachary_P said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Zachary_P said:

It'll kill you to learn that I'm also majoring in Philosophy and Theology then :wink: haha. I'm counting on law school for a degree that can actually get me a job. I've wanted to do law all along, so I feel somewhat justified in these less applicable but more thought-intensive majors.

Haha! Don't worry man. Unless you're in STEM or accounting, I'm starting to think you're fucked regardless on the job front. So on to law school we go!