Stressing

edited July 2017 in General 1025 karma

Hello 7Sage (:

I have been studying on and off since January, with school making studying a bit difficult. Regardless, it is now 72 days until the September test and I am stressing out. I need a 173.

Baseline scores: 141, BR-152

Average for the past 3 PT's (42,43,45)
154 (LR: -20, RC: -10, LG: -7)
159 was my most recent PT score.

BR-167.5 (LR: -9, RC: -4, LG: -1)
169 was my most recent BR score.

Since the test I took last week, I have made a goal to fool proof all LG from1-35. Is this a proper way to go about LG prepping?
School chilled out a bit now so I can devote 8 hours towards LSAT each day. I am also using analytics to work on my problem areas in LR- (Flaw, SA, MSS and REE) as well. I feel so stressed that I won't reach my goal and it is just eating me up inside!! Any advise would help.

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Why do you have to take in September? What's wrong with December? It's a really ambitious goal to go from 154 to 173 in two months. Take some stress off, and give yourself more time. You'll still need to put a lot of work and countless hours into studying, but the additional 3 months might work wonders.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited July 2017 3072 karma

8 hours per day towards LSAT is not a reasonable approach, either. You will likely burnout quickly at that pace, and I very much doubt your brain will benefit from marathon-style practice sessions at this point in your preparation. Intensive LSAT preparation literally alters your brain structure, and that takes time.

Try to set more reasonable goals for yourself. I echo uhinberg's sentiment: December LSAT is a better choice. You may even want to consider taking the next year to study the LSAT if your PT scores aren't up to snuff by this winter.

• sandy180sandy180 Alum Member
    159 karma

DEFINITELY take the December test! Sorry to bring you bad news, but save yourself now. Study your butt off as if you are sitting in September, but wait until you are ready. period.

• theLSATgrind2017theLSATgrind2017 Alum Member
    440 karma

I'm going to have concur with those suggesting the December lSAT date. You'll hear this a lot but I'll reiterate it: shoot for a score not a date! You might have to take the Feb LSAT or even next June to get that 173. Wouldn't you rather wait and get the score you want?

• edited July 2017 1025 karma

Thank you all for the comments @theLSATgrind2017 @john.tart.139 @uhinberg @goingfor99th !!! I have been stressing because I know that if I take the LSAT in December, then I will have less of a chance of admission at HSY. Would this be the case?

I am a soon to be senior with a 3.95+ GPA, considered a MA URM as well. Taking a year off has not been apart of my plan, so I am not sure what I am doing now.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited July 2017 3072 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:
    Thank you all for the comments!!! I have been stressing because I know that if I take the LSAT in December, then I will have less of a chance of admission at HSY. Would this be the case?

I am a soon to be senior with a 3.95+ GPA, considered a MA URM as well. Taking a year off has not been apart of my plan, so I am not sure what I am doing now.

If you apply to HYS with a 3.95+ GPA, a 173 LSAT, and are an MA URM, you'll probably have a great shot no matter when you take your test, within reason.

Also, now that I know these things about you, it's probably a great idea to wait until you have your score, even if you do need to postpone until next year. You'll be a hot commodity with those numbers, so no reason to rush it unless you absolutely have to. A gap year can also be attractive to admissions, so it's not like you'd hurt yourself by taking the time, either.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:
    Hello 7Sage (:

I have been studying on and off since January, with school making studying a bit difficult. Regardless, it is now 72 days until the September test and I am stressing out. I need a 173.

Baseline scores: 141, BR-152

Average for the past 3 PT's (42,43,45)
    154 (LR: -20, RC: -10, LG: -7)
    159 was my most recent PT score.

BR-167.5 (LR: -9, RC: -4, LG: -1)
    169 was my most recent BR score.

Since the test I took last week, I have made a goal to fool proof all LG from1-35. Is this a proper way to go about LG prepping?
    School chilled out a bit now so I can devote 8 hours towards LSAT each day. I am also using analytics to work on my problem areas in LR- (Flaw, SA, MSS and REE) as well. I feel so stressed that I won't reach my goal and it is just eating me up inside!! Any advise would help.

I'm going to have to give the old cliche advice and tell you that postponing is going to be your best bet here. It's possible to make the necessary increase by September, but transitioning into the 60s and into the 70s can be a very hard plateau to break. Also it seems like you you are taking older tests which is fine, but the newer tests are different enough that you'll likely see a few point decrease initially.

Assuming you have finished the CC and are doing proper BR for your PTs, then fool proofing 1-35 would be what I would suggest doing next. You could work on this while doing timed sections and drilling of LR and RC.

Your BR score is promising. I think you just need to work in the areas you're weakest on.

Either way, congrats on the improvement from your initial diagnostic!!!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Great work building that score! But I kind of agree with everyone else if you can postpone until December maybe try that :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited July 2017 27823 karma

Yeah, I've got to agree with previous comments. You can improve your score from 154 to 173, or you can test in two months. It's not going to be both, so you're going to have to pick one. I recommend the improved score!

Thank y'all, I will continue to work as hard as I can. I appreciate the advice!! Cheers.

@"Cant Get Right" I just finished your most recent webinar and it has given me confidence in postponing that I needed badly. Thank you for your wisdom!!