Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake and Core Curriculum

Lilhannah1345Lilhannah1345 Alum Member
in General 71 karma

Hi everyone!

I wrote the LSAT in June and scored at 158 after PTing 165+, so I'm planning on retaking in September. I've purchased the Starter course and am going through the core curriculum now, and though I'm definitely learning lots to help me later, I was wondering if I should also be incorporating timed sections? I really don't want to waste any time, but I want to get the most out of the course!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@mlhsundaresan said:
    Hi everyone!

I wrote the LSAT in June and scored at 158 after PTing 165+, so I'm planning on retaking in September. I've purchased the Starter course and am going through the core curriculum now, and though I'm definitely learning lots to help me later, I was wondering if I should also be incorporating timed sections? I really don't want to waste any time, but I want to get the most out of the course!

Welcome to 7Sage and congrats on your June score and your decision to retake knowing you can do better! That takes a lot of motivation and discipline.

Yes, I think you will benefit greatly from timed sections with blind review. If you were PT'ing 165, you generally know where you need some work. If you aren't killing LG, fool proof every game from PT1-35, and then every one you encounter there after. You will only get better at games if you keep doing them and I find it is a skill that atrophies the quickest. So maybe try to do a section of LG a day or something....

When you set out to do a timed section, make sure you have a tangible objective you are working towards. Be it getting better at timing on certain questions, or skipping strategies, etc.

Evaluate your weaknesses across the sections and try to adjust your prep schedule accordingly. For instance, if you find you are really lacking in the RC department, as many of us are, then try to do at least a passage a day w/ BR.

How many PTs have you done and which ones? Just want to see what we are working with here?

• Lilhannah1345Lilhannah1345 Alum Member
    71 karma

Thanks so much for the reply and for your words of encouragement!

I was following a self-study method, and had actually only actually done 10 full, timed PTs (SuperPrep A, B,C, 72, 78, 73, 80, 70, 76, 75), but the self-study method I was following advised that I take timed sections so I've done (in parts) most of the PTs from 50-70... I'm now seeing that probably wasn't the greatest approach!

Thankfully the games are pretty much mastered- I got the section perfect on the June 2017 exam and hadn't gotten less than 21/23 in my prep. I definitely struggle with RC though, averaging -9 to -6, with -11 on the actual exam. Logical reasoning typically comes somewhat well to me, averaging -6 to -3, but on the exam I panicked and got -7 and -11 on the sections. Timing is definitely somewhat of an issue, but I was always strict on timing when I did my PTs.

But thank you for your direction! I've been following Nicole Hopkins' notation strategy since I started my retake studying and it's been incredibly helpful, though I definitely need more practice (the self-study method I followed advised that I use a highlighter. Might work for some but on the exam it was absolutely not practical for me).

Thanks again!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mlhsundaresan said:
    Thanks so much for the reply and for your words of encouragement!

I was following a self-study method, and had actually only actually done 10 full, timed PTs (SuperPrep A, B,C, 72, 78, 73, 80, 70, 76, 75), but the self-study method I was following advised that I take timed sections so I've done (in parts) most of the PTs from 50-70... I'm now seeing that probably wasn't the greatest approach!

Thankfully the games are pretty much mastered- I got the section perfect on the June 2017 exam and hadn't gotten less than 21/23 in my prep. I definitely struggle with RC though, averaging -9 to -6, with -11 on the actual exam. Logical reasoning typically comes somewhat well to me, averaging -6 to -3, but on the exam I panicked and got -7 and -11 on the sections. Timing is definitely somewhat of an issue, but I was always strict on timing when I did my PTs.

But thank you for your direction! I've been following Nicole Hopkins' notation strategy since I started my retake studying and it's been incredibly helpful, though I definitely need more practice (the self-study method I followed advised that I use a highlighter. Might work for some but on the exam it was absolutely not practical for me).

Thanks again!

No problem! Happy to be of any help. Remember, you can retake those newer tests you've already taken, as well as the sections. I think PTs can be done 3x and still have amazing efficacy for your skill improvement. Sure, you can't put too much stock in the scores of retakes, but scores aren't what's important. Learning to get better and improving so you score well on the real test is... So don't worry!

Yeah -- highlighter seems like overkill. Though, I once saw a post of a 170er on TLS who claimed to have used one. Different strokes for different folks!

• JDtobeeeeJDtobeeee Alum Member
    175 karma

@mlhsundaresan What is the Nicole Hopkins notation strategy?

71 karma

@JDtobeeee said:
    @mlhsundaresan What is the Nicole Hopkins notation strategy?

Watch the video a couple times then try it out- amazing strategy in my opinion!

• JDtobeeeeJDtobeeee Alum Member
    175 karma

@mlhsundaresan Thanks!!

71 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

No problem! Happy to be of any help. Remember, you can retake those newer tests you've already taken, as well as the sections. I think PTs can be done 3x and still have amazing efficacy for your skill improvement. Sure, you can't put too much stock in the scores of retakes, but scores aren't what's important. Learning to get better and improving so you score well on the real test is... So don't worry!

Yeah -- highlighter seems like overkill. Though, I once saw a post of a 170er on TLS who claimed to have used one. Different strokes for different folks!

thanks so much! Great to know I haven't wasted too many resources!! Would you recommend, then, that I just incorporate timed sections and PTs while completing the curriculum?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mlhsundaresan said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

thanks so much! Great to know I haven't wasted too many resources!! Would you recommend, then, that I just incorporate timed sections and PTs while completing the curriculum?

Timed sections from the earlier tests, yes. I would wait until completing the CC to do full PTs. This way you'll be armed with all the fundamentals. First and foremost, you'll want to do to problem sets and carefully review those after each lesson.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Just be sure to guard your fresh material from the 70's very closely. Save those for when you've proven yourself on earlier tests and even earlier drills. You'll be fine. Take particular advantage of the drills for each lesson since it will be targeted specifically at the concept you'll be focusing on. Since you've done a curriculum, it may be beneficial to take some full timed sections, just make sure you're working them with a specific objective and not just taking them to put up numbers.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Just be sure to guard your fresh material from the 70's very closely. Save those for when you've proven yourself on earlier tests and even earlier drills. You'll be fine. Take particular advantage of the drills for each lesson since it will be targeted specifically at the concept you'll be focusing on. Since you've done a curriculum, it may be beneficial to take some full timed sections, just make sure you're working them with a specific objective and not just taking them to put up numbers.

One of the best lessons @"Cant Get Right" has taught me. Not all about just putting up numbers and going in with an intent to improve on X finally helped me break my plateau.