Redacted

1000001910000019 Alum Member
edited April 2020 in Off-topic 3279 karma

Redacted

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I'd say finish the CC first. It won't lead you wrong and you may waste time and money on things that are yet to click for you, or worse, lessons you just didn't get to. I think it would be a waste of time for someone who just started studying. Right now you should be in the learning stage and you'd essentially just be hiring an instructor. That's what JY is for and why you got that amazing ultimate + package!

Later on once your start doing timed sections and have some PTs under your belt, you will better know your weaknesses. This way you can get a tutor and go in with questions and specific concerns. I think that is the best way to utilize them.

I would really employ non-egalitarian filtering when it comes to choosing tutors. What I mean by that is I'm not listening to anyone who hasn't scored above a certain threshold. So be wary of craigslist tutors. Find a 7Sage tutor who has a proven track record of success. If they're a sage/tutor that means they've scored a 170+ and know their stuff.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Going to hold off on the tutoring. I'm in a big city so I think there is an abundance of tutors. I found a handful of tutors for $30-$50 an hour that claimed scores above 170. I found some of them on LinkedIn and was able to verify some of the claims. That being said, being good at something doesn't always translate to being a great teacher. I think a lot of the guys that offer cheap prices are doing it part time, and perhaps don't have the same level of experience as the pros. I can't afford the $100+ tutors though so I'm willing to give the random craigslist tutors a shot.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@USER123456 said:
    Going to hold off on the tutoring. I'm in a big city so I think there is an abundance of tutors. I found a handful of tutors for $30-$50 an hour that claimed scores above 170. I found some of them on LinkedIn and was able to verify some of the claims. That being said, being good at something doesn't always translate to being a great teacher. I think a lot of the guys that offer cheap prices are doing it part time, and perhaps don't have the same level of experience as the pros. I can't afford the $100+ tutors though so I'm willing to give the random craigslist tutors a shot.

I think you're making the right choice by waiting. Many of the 7Sage tutors with proven track records are priced lower, so just something to keep it mind.