PT26.S3.Q10 - tires may be either underinflated

skrishnanskrishnan Alum Member
edited August 2017 in Logical Reasoning 209 karma

Im having a little trouble understanding why answer choice D is correct. I understood the flaw that an absence of proof for something to be false, does not make it true the minute i read it.
However the wording in Answer choice D is confusing me. Specifically, " Rejects the possibility"

I'd love some inputs!
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-26-section-3-question-10/

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

(D) is saying:

The argument does not accept the possibility (="rejects the possibility") that even if no one has been able to show (= "has not been proven") that underinflation or overinflation do not harm tire tread, it could still be true that under inflation or overinflation do harm tire tread.

The argument confuses the absense of the evidence against underinflation or overinflation harming tire with the evidence for underinflation or overinflation harming tire.

(= the lack of the evidence for underinflation or overinflation not harming tire conflated with a rejection of underinflation or overinflation not harming tire conflated)

Hope this helps :)

• skrishnanskrishnan Alum Member
    209 karma

Hey sorry for the delayed response. I was working on other sections.

Thanks for your reply, it makes things much clearer. But the language in this is making it very hard for it to be intuitive. I still had to go back and forth with your explanation a couple of times to get it!

• skrishnanskrishnan Alum Member
    209 karma

@akistotle
    I know this is months later, but I just encountered this question again and the flaw seemed so obvious to me! Finally seeing improvements!
    Looking back, Your explanation was spot on! :)