PT9.S4.Q17 - the group of works exhibited

edited August 2017 in Logical Reasoning 12 karma

I have an issue with B. The stimulus stated that an equal number of painters, sculptures and photographers entered, how then, can we conclude that the increased price had any impact on which art gets exhibited? since the overall submissions were equal for all three types of artists we cannot say that more painters and sculptors might have submitted works if their fee was lower.

Are we to assume that only rich but bad artists submitted photos and sculptors whilst, good photographers poor or rich can afford the $25 fee? nevertheless, and equal number submitted and they all met the traditional criteria and were all exhibited as result of.

this question confuses me.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tishinaramkishun said:
    I have an issue with B. The stimulus stated that an equal number of painters, sculptures and photographers entered, how then, can we conclude that the increased price had any impact on which art gets exhibited? since the overall submissions were equal for all three types of artists we cannot say that more painters and sculptors might have submitted works if their fee was lower.

Are we to assume that only rich but bad artists submitted photos and sculptors whilst, good photographers poor or rich can afford the $25 fee? nevertheless, and equal number submitted and they all met the traditional criteria and were all exhibited as result of.

this question confuses me.

This is definitely a tricky question...

So first thing to understand is that we can't exactly assume that there was an equal number of submissions for each categories, just an equal number of painters, sculptures, and photographers doing the submitting. And if each could submit work in only one medium, then it is possible that overall there were more photographs submitted.

(B) is correct because the lower price of entering a picture compared to sculptures and paintings shows that there is indeed some sort of bias toward favoring the submission of paintings.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited August 2017 9372 karma

I think in order to strengthen G's argument, we just need something that says there was some sort of bias going on. The conclusion of G's argument is that the group of works shows a bias towards photographers. The fee is an example of bias towards them.

I think it's important to remember that strengthening questions are not sufficient assumption questions. We can't really make the argument airtight even after you insert the correct answer choice into the stimulus.

@tishinaramkishun said:
    Are we to assume that only rich but bad artists submitted photos and sculptors whilst, good photographers poor or rich can afford the $25 fee?

We don't need to assume that. We don't have to prove that there painters and sculptors were definitely treated unfairly. We just have to make G's argument a little bit more stronger.

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    edited August 2020 1013 karma

What's the difference between, "an equal number of submissions for each categories" verses "just an equal number of painters, sculptures, and photographers doing the submitting?" @Alex

I interpreted the two as being the same thing :neutral:

What am I missing? Could someone provide a hypothetical example to demonstrate that they're different concepts?

Thanks in advance!

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    1013 karma

Help, please