Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could someone please EXPLAIN to me *HOW* the LG fool proof method actually works ??

tuc28290tuc28290 Alum Member
in Logic Games 103 karma

(Or point me to that resource that does explain it)

I recently purchased the Starter package, almost exclusively for the LG fool-proof method. I am debating a refund though, bc I am not able to see or understand how the benefits come from this method (NOT at all saying it doesn't work, I realize 2 weeks is not enough time to reap the benefits- but that is why I'm inquiring here!).

Everytime JY says to repeat the game + inferences from memory, my mind goes all mushy, bc I don't see how that will help me (THAT much) on test day? I know the games are all pretty similar in structure, etc. (Have been studying for over a year and a half, probably have done abt 3/4 of the games that exist), but I feel like I would benefit from drilling into my mind how each inference came to be, vs. just writing an rule down bc I literally remembered writing it down the last time I did it? JY explicitly says to do straight from memory and NOT based on remembering how each rule kicked in to create that inference. (Seems similar, for ex., to learning the word "lackadaisical" bc my Ex's band name is Lackadaisical, & he is a really lazy person, instead of learning what the actual word means)

I guess I am getting pretty frustrated with the course too bc JY fails to explain this--the "How"--in his videos (at least as far as I've gotten so far. If it's in a certain lesson, pls let me know!!). Also, he doesn't address how to do the LG Questions, either. Do I choose those answers from memory, too ?? Do I read each word in the question stem?? (Same thing with the game set-up, do I read each word there, too, As if it was test day??)

I've just heard so many great things about his videos, strategy, & explanations, and I guess I just had a very different expectation. I would seriously seriously appreciate it if someone could help me out. Would love to get to ~2/3 wrong on LG as so many people here have mentioned here, but my frustration / confusion with the method is really keeping me from being motivated enough to continue with it.

Thanks for listening / reading !!

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Lesson which covers the approach
    https://7sage.com/lesson/fool-proof-guide-to-perfection-on-logic-games/

Discussion which gives more detail
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

An old discussion thread of mine which you might find helpful. Sages chimed in with the benefits and ways to approach
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11614/nearing-the-end-of-fool-proofing-and-still-4

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma

I've found that the foolproof method works by reinforcing the unique ways in which certain rules work in combination. For example, a block rule in a sequencing game typically exerts similar pressures on different boards, and we want to master this dynamic through memorization so that when we see a block rule among a set of any other combination of rules, we immediately recognize how it is likely to function and which placements are likely to exert the most pressure to create meaningful inferences.

It won't be recognition in the sense of remembering a specific game where the dynamic is parallel, but with time, we learn to immediately see a game's pressure points. Since fool proofing, I've never felt like a game has snuck anything by me. There's just nothing I haven't seen before and learned on a very deep and intuitive level.

Right at about the 1:13 mark in the lesson posted above by @jkatz1488 , JY stresses, "The key here is to memorize how to make the inferences." So make sure you're not just trying to memorize the inferences themselves. It's all in the how, making sure you see clearly where the inferences are coming from. It's the how that is important and which is applicable to future games.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

Simply put, as a result of many of the games repeating nearly identical inferences, if you commit these inferences to memory you will be able to more quickly and easily diagram and solve the games. I think of it a lot like muscle memory. If you've ever played an instrument then you know after playing the same song, and even similar songs, over and over you don't really need to rely on the sheet music as much.

Like @"Cant Get Right" explains above me, the point isn't just to memorize the inferences themselves, but to understand and internalize where they are coming from.

This method does indeed take time but if you want to master games it seems to be a reliable way to a perfect score on games.

• tuc28290tuc28290 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 103 karma

Thanks yall, so much !! Extremely helpful clarification / confirmation.

One more question, if you don't mind - how do you know what the target amt of time is for each game (to know when you've 'fool proofed' it - in addition to feeling like you've mastered the game)? Is it just general & based upon difficulty level of the game? If so, what is the range (or max) for the difficulty levels? My best guess would be:
    Easy 4-6 mins
    Med 6-8 mins
    Hard 8-10 mins

@"Alex Divine" @jkatz1488 @"Cant Get Right"

Thanks !!!!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma

No problem @tuc28290 , we're happy to help. For most games, JY will site a particular target time at the beginning of the video, and for all videos, it will be listed just below the video within the 7Sage window. Times range from 4 to 10 to 15 to as-much-as-you-have-left-and-you-better-hope-you-have-a-lot.

• tuc28290tuc28290 Alum Member
    103 karma

Great, thanks! @"Cant Get Right"