CC Question - Quiz Complex Conditional Translations 3 w/ Answers #2

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
in Logic Games 3679 karma

Under question #2 in this section, JY uses the conditional indicator "If" to translate the sentence to the sufficient part instead of "Any" at the beginning of the sentence. Can someone explain why this is? If there are two conditional indicators from the same group listed in the sentence, which one are we supposed to use as sufficient and which one should we use for necessary?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2017 13286 karma

I'm going to give this a shot...I'll probably not make much sense and need a Sage to save me but here we go...

I look at indicators like a hinge/link between two ideas. The indicator shows me that two ideas are connected and what their relationship is.

In this case we have two words that could be considered indicators, but only one of them really acts like a hinge linking two main ideas.

Example:

Any time spent on 7Sage will help you improve your score, if that time is spent studying and not on your phone.

Here we have two indicators. ANY and IF, but because of the way it is structured only one of them acts like this link/hinge for the two main ideas.

Idea 1.) Any time spent on 7Sage helps improve score.
    Idea 2.) Time is spent studying and not on your phone.

Do you see how placing the word IF in there connects the statements?

IF I spend the time studying and not on my phone, THEN any time on 7Sage will improve my score.

The IF here becomes the word that links the two statements.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2017 13286 karma

On the flip side, just to try and show it more clearly, if I use the word ANY I am no longer able to connect the two main ideas.

Any time spent on 7Sage improves my score. Well that's a conditional statement by itself but it's not what I am trying to say.

I am saying Any time spent on 7Sage improves my score..........IF I spend it studying and not on my phone....

Do you see how they play a different role?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Under question #2 in this section, JY uses the conditional indicator "If" to translate the sentence to the sufficient part instead of "Any" at the beginning of the sentence. Can someone explain why this is? If there are two conditional indicators from the same group listed in the sentence, which one are we supposed to use as sufficient and which one should we use for necessary?

I'll just add that I don't necessarily think there are any hard and fast rules about which indicator to use when there are 2 from the same group. But using the "IF" makes more sense here for the reasons @ LSATCantWin laid out.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    I'm going to give this a shot...I'll probably not make much sense and need a Sage to save me but here we go...

I look at indicators like a hinge/link between two ideas. The indicator shows me that two ideas are connected and what their relationship is.

In this case we have two words that could be considered indicators, but only one of them really acts like a hinge linking two main ideas.

Example:

Any time spent on 7Sage will help you improve your score, if that time is spent studying and not on your phone.

Here we have two indicators. ANY and IF, but because of the way it is structured only one of them acts like this link/hinge for the two main ideas.

Idea 1.) Any time spent on 7Sage helps improve score.
    Idea 2.) Time is spent studying and not on your phone.

Do you see how placing the word IF in there connects the statements?

IF I spend the time studying and not on my phone, THEN any time on 7Sage will improve my score.

The IF here becomes the word that links the two statements.

Thanks! That makes COMPLETE sense.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

I'll just add that I don't necessarily think there are any hard and fast rules about which indicator to use when there are 2 from the same group. But using the "IF" makes more sense here for the reasons @ LSATCantWin laid out.

Id have to disagree if I used the logical indicator Any in this particular question it would have completely changed the logic of the sentence making the necessary condition sufficient and vice versa.