Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small things to improve your score?

MsM1998_MsM1998_ Alum Member
in General 117 karma

What are some simple/fundamental stuff that someone can work on to improve their chances of getting a good score (or a better one than usual)? I've been thinking of going back and simply identifying the structure of a bunch of LR questions, like premise SC, MC, etc. to help me better analyze questions, especially MOR.

Also, I know this is really stupid, but I recently figured out that the first question after an RC passage asks for the main conclusion of a passage... for some reason I always looked for the AC that seemed to best summarize the whole passage. Is this new understanding of the main point RC question a correct one?

Would love to hear what basic/fundamental stuff you've worked on that helped you see improvement.

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I guess identifying structure in LR questions would be ok, but actually do the questions and not just look at its structure, right? :P

Main conclusion questions in RC just basically means what was the passage about and what is the point that it was trying to get across by giving you those paragraphs. Just think of it like that. If the author is giving a bunch of info on theory 1, then says stuff about theory 2, then says that theory 2 makes theory 1 look like complete crap for research in X. then what is the main conclusion? theory 2 is better than theory 1 for research in X. You just have to follow the flow and structure of the passage tbh and look at the bigger picture.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    1084 karma

I highly recommend listening to this recent webinar for strategies to improve you score at different levels of prep.
    https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Something that really helped me fundamentally was making notecards with how to approach every question type. I tried to write as little as possible to keep it simple and made sure I truly understood what my priorities should be when approaching each type of question.

Another strategy was practicing making the wrong answer choices correct during my BR. This is essentially how I was able to get better at parallel MOR and Parallel flaw questions, as well as a few others.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Second all of the above suggestions. I'd also add that learning to skip questions effectively is very simple and incredibly powerful. More than maybe anything else, that will max out whatever potential you've achieved.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Like Cant Get Right said, skipping is HUGE. I'm pretty stubborn and generally hate skipping questions on tests, but, after employing a skipping strategy, I improved dramatically. You can watch this webinar to get an idea of how to skip in an effective manner:

https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/