Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion for Mindset Shift on Test Day

vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
edited August 2017 in General 1084 karma

I've heard repeatedly on this forum and others that someone should expect to drop 3 or 4 points from their Testing average on the actual test day (because of nerves, new environment, etc).

I just want to suggest that this is a really self-defeating thought to have in your mind. I'm not saying don't be prepared to potentially do worse, but also don't go in assuming a 3 to 4 point drop in score. I've met at least 5 people that have told me they PEAKED on test day. That is, they scored their highest on test day, sometimes 2 or 3 points over their normal prep test score.

I'm not saying you should go in assuming you will score 2-3 points higher on test day, but I would suggest orienting oneself around a goal of peak performance instead of an assumption of dropping points.

The mind is a powerful thing.

Consider an Olympic athlete. Many athletes have "Peak" performance on the actual day of the Olympics, getting better and faster times than they ever did in practice. Some get nervous and do worse. Point is, it can go either way. I'd aim for thinking about Test Day as your peak day.

Of course work hard and get the best average score you can before test day, and be prepared for anything, but go into the test aiming to peak.

Just my 2 cents.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Get out of my head!!!

I was just at work beating myself up over this. Starting to think I was doomed to fail come test day. All of a sudden I check 7Sage and @"vanessa fisher" is here to save the day.

Thank you for this!

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

People are more likely to chalk up a lousy performance on test day than a great performance to to the test environment or other random factors. They'll chalk up a great performance to their genius. So you are much more likely to hear horror stories than success stories.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    People are more likely to chalk up a lousy performance on test day than a great performance to to the test environment or other random factors. They'll chalk up a great performance to their genius. So you are much more likely to hear horror stories than success stories.

-

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    I've heard repeatedly on this forum and others that someone should expect to drop 3 or 4 points from their Testing average on the actual test day (because of nerves, new environment, etc).

I just want to suggest that this is a really self-defeating thought to have in your mind. I'm not saying don't be prepared to potentially do worse, but also don't go in assuming a 3 to 4 point drop in score. I've met at least 5 people that have told me they PEAKED on test day. That is, they scored their highest on test day, sometimes 2 or 3 points over their normal prep test score.

I'm not saying you should go in assuming you will score 2-3 points higher on test day, but I would suggest orienting oneself around a goal of peak performance instead of an assumption of dropping points.

The mind is a powerful thing.

Consider an Olympic athlete. Many athletes have "Peak" performance on the actual day of the Olympics, getting better and faster times than they ever did in practice. Some get nervous and do worse. Point is, it can go either way. I'd aim for thinking about Test Day as your peak day.

Of course work hard and get the best average score you can before test day, and be prepared for anything, but go into the test aiming to peak.

Just my 2 cents.

Hmmm.. Interesting way to look at it. I've always thought of it as a way to suggest that it's best that one be scoring slightly above their target score before sitting for the test as a bulwark against experiencing a test day drop. This way if you do drop a few points you still hit your target.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    1084 karma

@LSATcantwin
    no problem!

Also, I heard this advice among some other great tips before test day on this podcast. You might want to check it out.
    http://www.thinkinglsat.com/blog/ep-97-last-minute-advice-for-the-june-2017-lsat/

And I have 5 friends that all said they peaked on test day, so yeah, it's a thing

1084 karma

@"Alex Divine"
    Yeah I get that, but I think it can sometimes have the effect of being a self-defeating mindset. It was a valuable re-frame for me.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @"Alex Divine"
    Yeah I get that, but I think it can sometimes have the effect of being a self-defeating mindset. It was a valuable re-frame for me.

I agree that positivity is always better :)

1084 karma

:)

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Yeah, that mindset that you will lose points no matter what isn't good. I know someone who had never gotten higher than a 167 on a PT and got a 171 on test day.

Just go in with a positive mindset and do your best!

1084 karma

@TheMikey
    Exactly!