Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doing poorly on beginning of test and better at the end...

in General 4 karma

Hey all,

So I do poorly on my first two sections of my test but then get better and more focused on the last two.
Anyone else have this problem and how to solve it??

Thanks

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Maybe you have to do a warm up to get your mind going before a PT.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kayalbertson72 said:
    Hey all,

So I do poorly on my first two sections of my test but then get better and more focused on the last two.
    Anyone else have this problem and how to solve it??

Thanks

Your brain likely needs to warm up and get into the zone. I take my PTs very early in the am and if I don't warm up then my first section basically becomes my warm up and I miss more questions.

I usually try to do 10 or so LR questions and a game or two before I take a test. It can make quite a bit of difference.

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 877 karma

My pre-PT warm up always includes 1 RC passage, 12 or 13 LR questions (1/2 section, alternating pages so varying difficulty), 2 LG (same as LR, 1/2 section, alternating games so varying difficulty). This is the perfect balance of material for me to get exposure to all 3 sections, warm up enough to start the test with ease and also not risk burning out. You'll have to find your perfect balance, but once you do, it will make all the difference.

• rugangelrugangel Alum Member
    56 karma

How do you guys propose doing this kind of warm up strategy on test day? How easy/stressful is it to bring a couple of sections into the testing center to look over and do before going into the testing room?

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

@rugangel I don't plan on doing my warm up at the test center. I usually do them at Starbucks so I can hit 2 birds with 1 stone (PT warm up and caffeine intake :smile:). Luckily, my September exam will be administered at my alma mater, so I am all too familiar with studying at the Starbucks across the street. I usually start around 7:15am and finish by 8am, so I will have plenty of time to walk over to the testing center by 8:15am.

4196 karma

@rugangel said:
    How do you guys propose doing this kind of warm up strategy on test day? How easy/stressful is it to bring a couple of sections into the testing center to look over and do before going into the testing room?

You can't take it inside, but if you are going by car then just do a warm up in the car before heading in. if you're going by public transportation then do it on there if you're able to focus with noise.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@rugangel said:

Don't believe you'll be aloud to take it inside unless you toss em' before you go into your designated testing room. You could however do your warm up before you leave or before you go inside.

4196 karma

also, before test day try out different warm up approaches as well.

personally, my warm up is good with like 4 to 5 LR questions. others may do an RC passage, an LG, and like 10 LR questions. see what is the best fit for you.

good luck! :)