Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How far do you trust "worldly" knowledge?

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

So iv done hundreds upon hundreds of LR questions and i still dont have an answer for this. What does LSAC consider acceptable outside knowledge. What can i assume?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    So iv done hundreds upon hundreds of LR questions and i still dont have an answer for this. What does LSAC consider acceptable outside knowledge. What can i assume?

Now that I've been studying for a while I find that we rarely need to really invoke outside knowledge. Sure, sometimes common sense outside knowledge is okay but it really comes down to the context/type of question. I've for sure done MBT questions where applying my outside knowledge would have been detrimental.

Honestly, when in doubt, I would say forsake your outside knowledge and answer the question with the information you're given.

Do you have a specific example you're wondering about?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Yeah, just ignore outside knowledge, honestly.

I know for some people (not you!) doing this can be a struggle, and thankfully for me it never was. But I think the only time outside knowledge can be helpful (if you restrict yourself and don't answer questions because of your outside knowledge only though) is in RC. If you're familiar with a subject, then that could help you have an interest in the topic, thus probably focusing more.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I remember a question in LR (forgot which PT) that was explaining a real psychology experiment done, all of the details were in line with the real exp, but the LR stimulus concluded the exact opposite of what the real experiment concluded. As a former psych major, this bothered the SHIT out of me, but I didn't let it get to me haha. I felt like LSAC really tried to trick a bunch of people, especially psych students, and they def did try because one of the AC's (think it was a MSS question) was literally stating what the REAL experiment concluded.

Since that day, I realized LSAC truly does hate me.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Like everyone else said, I'd steer clear of the real world on the LSAT. On the LSAT, it's not the real world for those hours you're living in LSAC world and whatever they want you to believe. If you start thinking in real terms you start getting questions wrong.

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:

Your question has highlighted to myself that I have a "wing-it" and "if it feels right" approach that isn't based in any reason, strategy or logic, lol.