Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proctor Nightmare :(

So I already saw a string a few test center complaints from this morning's test but what I experienced today wasn't at all from other students' disruptions but all fell solely on the proctor.

For 2 sections (section 2 and 3) the proctor called timed early. She legitimately shaved off 5 whole minutes from Section 2 and while some of us verbally complained, as you know there's not much time in between each section and we shuffled in Section 3 w/o immediately addressing it. She tried to call time TEN whole minutes before Section 3 ended and so the majority of the room complained, had our watches in the air like 'wtff??!'. She apologized and let us finish. She even said 'this is just not my day...' Because of that, a girl complained that ALL of our test scores should be cancelled at this point because of the multiple disruptions. I was torn because although they were disruptions, I wasn't willing to give up all the work. The proctor compromised slightly and gave us 5 minutes to GO BACK to Section2 (yes, this was already after Section 3).. while I feel like i was to re-confirm some questions I circled in those 5 mins. I'm not sure if it did that much for me. ON TOP OF THAT, the proctor's cellphone rang TWICE!! So the girl from earlier plus about 4-5 other students, at least from what I saw, cancelled immediately during the break. Me and other people around me were shocked 'I can't believe that just happened.' 'All the studying for THIS to happen!?' etc. I know a lot of people will be e-mailing LSAC with a complaint about this and are debating cancelling within the 6 days.

Im really torn .. I've been studying for awhile/have extended twice and this was supposed to the one for me. Overall, while I do feel like I did okay and sufficient enough to apply to schools, when I get the score in Oct. I can't help to think that I was possibly robbed some points b/c of these disruptions. IF enough people send a complaint, do you think LSAC will cancel everyone's score even if we don't apply for a cancellation?

Sorry.... went on a major rant.. thank you for reading through all of this - if you've experienced something similar in the past or know of anyone, any thoughts of how LSAC might handle? Any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
    332 karma

WOWWWWW. i would have finished the test but considered cancelling. i recommend you just keep doing some light studying between now and when the scores come out

• ocrickardocrickard Member
    12 karma

I think I was in the same room. Newark? It was SO terrible. The ending early really threw me off my game for Section 3.

I'm also super interested in how LSAC handles this.

• 10bird__10bird__ Member
    80 karma

Wow....I would've been so pissed if that had happened to me

I'm not sure how LSAC would handle this but best of luck to you...

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

This is horrible. You should definitely complain to LSAC. That proctor should not be allowed within a mile of any LSAT test forever more.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 3279 karma

I think when the LSAC finds out what happened in that room, all of your tests will be cancelled. Allowing you to go back to sections (even if time was called early) does sound standard.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I would definitely contact LSAT and urge anyone else in the room to do the same. I wish you could all retest next week so your studying wouldn't be wasted. F*** that proctor. The level of ambivalence to care so little about a huge piece of many people's futures is despicable

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@tylerdschreur10 I agree completely..It's annoying how many proctors don't understand how important this exam is to the people taking it. Any little distraction or noises/mistakes they make is potentially hurting someone's future.

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @tylerdschreur10 I agree completely..It's annoying how many proctors don't understand how important this exam is to the people taking it. Any little distraction or noises/mistakes they make is potentially hurting someone's future.

I'll say this isn't across the board. My proctors today at UT Austin were phenomenal. It was the ideal testing environment. I talked with them a bit during the break and they really did think a lot about how to make sure everything went as smoothly as possible.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@Mitchell-1 You're right, my proctors at Cooley were great as well, no complaints. I'm sure 99 percent are doing their utmost to ensure the environment is ideal.

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

I would call LSAC. They are incredibly helpful over the phone and fast acting. They should be able to tell you right away what LSACs likely course of action is.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@Victoria14 said:
    I would call LSAC. They are incredibly helpful over the phone and fast acting.

Wow. That's actually very surprising to me.

• MikeLpz21MikeLpz21 Member
    39 karma

Horrible on the part of the proctor. I thought mine was distracting due to the fact that both of them kept coming in and out of the room at least 10 times that I can remember, but nothing like what you described. Sounds like the proctor was trying to pull a Peyton Manning "audible" by giving you an additonal 5 minutes, but that is not their call.

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

@uhinberg said:

@Victoria14 said:
    I would call LSAC. They are incredibly helpful over the phone and fast acting.

Wow. That's actually very surprising to me.

I was super surprised in the hurricane chaos how helpful they really were. The couple of people I talked to were really honest and even if they didn't have a straight answer for me (i.e. if my testing center was going to be closed), they had a ton of information about how to handle it best.