Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

142 to a 157

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
in General 630 karma

Hey guys,

so I have finally finished the CC. YAYYY me. I just completed my first PT after completing the CC and let's just say I was quite anxious. Nonetheless, I was relieved to see an 157 after scoring a 142 on my diagnostic. I know I have a long way to go but let's just say all this studying has paid off so far. My diagnostic honestly had gotten me feeling super unmotivated, but taking this PT has definitely made me feel better.

I am aiming to write in December with a target score of 168+. Any advice on how I should study? I still need to fool proof LG, since I thought the LG on PT 51 felt like it might have been easier than some of the other LG I have done.

For the next 10 days, I am going to use the LG fool-proof method and drill down on LR and RC in between. Though I plan to drill LR and RC more once I have gotten LG down.

How have you guys have been drilling LR/RC or using the LG fool-proof method?
I feel like I struggle with reading the stimulus and understanding the material when I am being timed for LR.
In RC, I have done decent on passages but I couldn't finished one entire passage and for one of them I basically created only a low-resolution summary and was lucky enough to answer some of the questions and get them correct (received a 18/28, which is my best so far).

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

First off, CONGRATS! That's a big jump!

Now, it's time to get to work. Use the analytics to chart question types/games/etc that you need work on. Then drill, drill, drill! Drill to your little hearts contentment. Do things like 25 questions in 25 minutes. Do 8 minutes for games and reading sections. It's time to start finding your weak spots and beating your way through. Blind review until you can't keep your eyes open!

• amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 378 karma

So I'm sort of where you're at and one thing I can tell you is that fool proofing LG is like going to the gym, you have to be consistent if you're going to maintain your gains. I spent two months fool proofing LG and once I got - what I thought was - decent enough, I moved on to LR and that was a whole other can of worms, so my suggestion is not to neglect any of the sections. Besides, they're all related anyways...

Now, I make it a strict rule to do no less than 4, but no more than 6 logic games per day. And I don't discard a game until I can get it perfect within the recommended time, make all the same inferences as J.Y. and feel like I own it exactly one week after my last attempt... I strongly recommend you read this thread by user @Pacifico in order to learn how to set up a good fool proofing system with a spreadsheet: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

Depending on how you are with logic games, you may need to do this consistently right up until the test...

Also, I wouldn't recommend neglecting sections, you should try and work at them all at once to maintain your stamina and keep your studies consistent. This was a huge mistake I made this year. Sure, you can focus on one section in a day more than the others if you're struggling in a particular area, but make an effort to do a bit of each section every study day, whether it be drilling LR question types, doing a timed LR section with BR, or doing a couple of timed RC passages (once you're comfortable with them) followed by BR. Blind review is going to allow you to both hone in on your weaknesses and develop your skills throughout every section, so don't do anything timed without blind reviewing it at some point afterwards.

I would also recommend making spreadsheet templates similar to @Pacifico's for LR sections as well as RC passages, so you can keep track of your timing and the types of question / passage types you are getting wrong.

When doing timed sections, always punch the results into the analytics after your blind review - make sure you press "Do not save results" if you're not doing a timed PT - to see what areas you need to focus on. Then enter these results into your spreadsheet so there is a log of them.

Good luck!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Here's my webinar on this exact question:

https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Nice! Keep at it and you can go even higher :)

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@Victoria14 said:
    First off, CONGRATS! That's a big jump!

Now, it's time to get to work. Use the analytics to chart question types/games/etc that you need work on. Then drill, drill, drill! Drill to your little hearts contentment. Do things like 25 questions in 25 minutes. Do 8 minutes for games and reading sections. It's time to start finding your weak spots and beating your way through. Blind review until you can't keep your eyes open!

Thank you! I am going to start with logic games right now and use the fool proof method. I feel like that might be smartest area to start with since I feel like it's the easiest xD. LR and RC, I really need to drill down since I can never finish all the questions or at least RC one passage.

630 karma

@amedley88 said:
    So I'm sort of where you're at and one thing I can tell you is that fool proofing LG is like going to the gym, you have to be consistent if you're going to maintain your gains. I spent two months fool proofing LG and once I got - what I thought was - decent enough, I moved on to LR and that was a whole other can of worms, so my suggestion is not to neglect any of the sections. Besides, they're all related anyways...

Now, I make it a strict rule to do no less than 4, but no more than 6 logic games per day. And I don't discard a game until I can get it perfect within the recommended time, make all the same inferences as J.Y. and feel like I own it exactly one week after my last attempt... I strongly recommend you read this thread by user @Pacifico in order to learn how to set up a good fool proofing system with a spreadsheet: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

Depending on how you are with logic games, you may need to do this consistently right up until the test...

Also, I wouldn't recommend neglecting sections, you should try and work at them all at once to maintain your stamina and keep your studies consistent. This was a huge mistake I made this year. Sure, you can focus on one section in a day more than the others if you're struggling in a particular area, but make an effort to do a bit of each section every study day, whether it be drilling LR question types, doing a timed LR section with BR, or doing a couple of timed RC passages (once you're comfortable with them) followed by BR. Blind review is going to allow you to both hone in on your weaknesses and develop your skills throughout every section, so don't do anything timed without blind reviewing it at some point afterwards.

I would also recommend making spreadsheet templates similar to @Pacifico's for LR sections as well as RC passages, so you can keep track of your timing and the types of question / passage types you are getting wrong.

When doing timed sections, always punch the results into the analytics after your blind review - make sure you press "Do not save results" if you're not doing a timed PT - to see what areas you need to focus on. Then enter these results into your spreadsheet so there is a log of them.

Good luck!

Omg! Thank you for that advice. I found myself struggling with the same thing last year. I would move on to LR after getting LG down and then lose all the hard work since I would end up neglecting that section for a while. I totally agree with you when you say that I should focus on each section consistently.

630 karma

Thank you! I watched the entire thing, so many helpful tips!

Again, thank you!