High school volunteering activities - when to leave it off a resume.

During my final year of high school I volunteered every Saturday morning for a local charity until I left for college. I know the advice is to leave high school off your resume, but this seems like worthwhile experience to list. Should I list it in my Activities section?

Volunteering during high school
  1. List it on your resume?16 votes
    1. Yes
      12.50%
    2. No
      87.50%

Comments

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I think it depends how long you have been out of high school. If you are still in college then I suppose you can include it - but otherwise just include your college volunteer activities.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited September 2017 1091 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    I think it depends how long you have been out of high school. If you are still in college then I suppose you can include it - but otherwise just include your college volunteer activities.

Thanks for the tip. I am one-job removed from college and have plenty to fill a 1-page resume, so I'll leave it off.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

I would not include it and was advised not to in the past. I am a non-traditional student who attended grad school/medical school and did not include any high school activities when I applied to those schools. I can't imagine that this would be any different for what it's worth.

On a related note:
    For non-traditional students, would it be worth it to include college activities in the application if we are 5+years out of undergrad?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@StephenASmith said:
    I would not include it and was advised not to in the past. I am a non-traditional student who attended grad school/medical school and did not include any high school activities when I applied to those schools. I can't imagine that this would be any different for what it's worth.

On a related note:
    For non-traditional students, would it be worth it to include college activities in the application if we are 5+years out of undergrad?

I would venture to guess that is depends on those activities. But, yeah, for your LS application/academic resume, I think including some important activities would be just fine. Though, since you've been out of UG for more than a few years, I'm sure you'll want to talk more about what you've been doing since. Anything noteworthy feel free to include!

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    edited September 2017 3107 karma

I vote off. It sounds like you did the activity for only a year, and now you are at least 4 years removed from it (assuming college, etc.). Seems too distant to me, especially if you can easily fill a one page resume already.

But idk, you can maybe list it on your application in the volunteering section some schools ask for. Use good judgment, though. If it was meaningful, then it's probably fine. If not, then don't force it onto your app.