Character and Fitness - traffic violations

KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
edited September 2017 in Law School Admissions 172 karma

Hey everyone,

I'm stuck on some Character and Fitness questions/wording that keeps popping up. I'd copy the exact question, but there are so many differently worded question with the same issue at heart, I'll just paraphrase.

Basically, if a question asks if you have been "charged" of anything, does it matter if you were found not guilty in court? A few years ago I had some traffic citations, but the judge ruled them as not guilty. I'm not quite sure if I need to include it or not.

Thanks!

Edit: this is really just about traffic violations that were thrown out in court. I don't know if that stuff is supposed to be disclosed or not. Theoretically, anyone could be charged of anything, and have it thrown out later. A dude could be charged with rape because he looks like the rapist, have it thrown out later because he's clearly not the rapist, but still have that "charge" follow him forever? Doesn't seem just at all to me, but I know oftentimes the law isn't necessarily fair.

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Well, "charged" means "charged." But I'm not sure what being "charged" with something has to do with character. You can be 100% innocent and be charged.

• KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    edited September 2017 172 karma

@uhinberg Well, exactly. I don't know what is has to do with character either, but it's still part of the Character and Fitness part of the applications. The "why" is a moot point. I just need to know how to respond.

I really just want to know if I have to check the box for "yes" for the criminal violation/being charged for a crime questions, and then if I have write an addendum for that one time I was driving my mom's car I got pulled over because her registration expired. Judge threw out the charges in court, said I was "not guilty" so I didn't have to pay anything and my driving record stays clean. But at one time I was "charged" with blablabla driving stuff and don't know if I should disclose that.

If anyone on this forum has ever been pulled over for a minor traffic violation (such as a registration issue), would that person please comment and let me know if you know how to answer?

• shanedridershanedrider Alum Member
    156 karma

Schools won't care about traffic violations, but you do have to be truthful in your application - disclose in a short paragraph (http://lawschooladvice.com/how-to-write-a-law-school-addendum/) and be done with it. No big deal.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited September 2017 27823 karma

You will have to report if the specific wording demands it, but it won't be a big deal. I had several of these. I wrote:

I have had charges for the following dismissed:
    2007 in Jackson, MS - speeding
    2013 in Hattiesburg, MS - expired tag

No need to elaborate further.