Personal Statement - about being a Mom?

I'm kind of lost as to where to start with my personal statement and would appreciate any help!

I had my son in 2015 and since the my world has revolved around him. When I had him I really got into holistic/non-toxic living and nutrition even so much that i'm pursuing some nutrition classes at the local community college. I'm also really passionate about advocating for lead safety not just in dwellings but in children's toys etc. which has sparked an interest in environmental law overall.

When I'm not studying for the LSAT i'm home with him and so it makes sense to me that my PS should be about me as a mother since that's the biggest portion of my identity. Before I had him I wasn't nearly as conscientious about the world or as motivated to become a lawyer - he really change me.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can put this together? I don't want it to be boring since being a Mom isn't something "interesting" or "new" and I do want my PS to stand out in some way. Can this work as a PS?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

It occupies an interesting space within the realm of PS topics. I suspect that for almost anyone with a child, that child is likely the most meaningful part and defining characteristic of their life. I've learned from my nephew that they frequently make sure of that, lol! As you acknowledge though, it won't necessarily stand out or set you apart. I think the keyword there is "necessarily." You'll just have to write it really well, and you have to make sure that you remain a true protagonist. I think an effective way to approach the topic would be to use being a mom as more of a contextual element rather than a plot line--the space within which the story happens rather than the story itself. As a plot, it's going to be hard, if not impossible, to write well. As context though, it can make a good story great.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    It occupies an interesting space within the realm of PS topics. I suspect that for almost anyone with a child, that child is likely the most meaningful part and defining characteristic of their life. I've learned from my nephew that they frequently make sure of that, lol! As you acknowledge though, it won't necessarily stand out or set you apart. I think the keyword there is "necessarily." You'll just have to write it really well, and you have to make sure that you remain a true protagonist. I think an effective way to approach the topic would be to use being a mom as more of a contextual element rather than a plot line--the space within which the story happens rather than the story itself. As a plot, it's going to be hard, if not impossible, to write well. As context though, it can make a good story great.

Thank you so much! Do you mind if I bounce ideas off of you as I get to writing it?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Not at all!

• Gramps1984Gramps1984 Alum Member
    64 karma

I have two 2 yr olds and a 1 yr old. I sometimes wonder if they would hold that against me because they don't believe I can attend school with 3 kids.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@jameslorenz said:
    I have two 2 yr olds and a 1 yr old. I sometimes wonder if they would hold that against me because they don't believe I can attend school with 3 kids.

Aww don't think that. I highly doubt any AO would use family as a factor to dismiss a student. NTS are more and more popular in law school. At Yale they even let parents bring their children with them on stage to accept their diploma at graduation (I suspect a lot of schools allow this based on some photos I've seen. )

• laurenkentlawlaurenkentlaw Member
    29 karma

I'd say not focus on anything you present to the admissions board as something that would pigeonhole you. Just look to be a hard working, no excuses, good candidate. Leave all that other stuff out because depending upon the person reading it.. they may sound like a lot of excuses. Best of luck.

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

I think it can definitely be a great PS!

You can talk about how motherhood gave you a new perspective on life and how those new maternal feelings that you developed have made you more conscious of the world. I can only imagine that your passion about lead safety in children toys comes directly from wanting to protect your own child. He's your motivation to as cheesy as it sounds "make the world a better place for him".

I'd say just focus on being as genuine as you can and remembering that the PS should focus on you. An idea could be to start the essay off by talking about the first time you heard him cry and how from that moment on, you have evolved as a person.

Best of luck!!