Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I include major works of research on my resume?

LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member

Hello all. Perhaps this was a question that was touched upon in the recent resume webinar, which I wasn't able to attend (it didn't begin until 1 am here in Iceland) BUT I thought maybe y'all could give me some guidance. I am wondering how/if it's appropriate or normal to include information about past research projects you've done on a resume (or somewhere else in the application process). While the work I did in undergrad was not law related at all, it was published in an undergraduate research journal. And I am currently working on an international law-related thesis-type paper for my grad program. I genuinely want to share with admissions committees what I've been working on because it's really interesting to me, not just because I'm looking for another way of padding my application. This is more true for my grad level writing than undergrad however. So I was just wondering if the best place to do this would be incorporating it into my personal statement? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

I think you should definitely include this on your resume.

To my knowledge, people will put the topic of their thesis or other major papers (for undergrad, at least) right under the line about their bachelor's degree. If it's not related to law, I wouldn't go into specifics, but you definitely want to put it on there, and note where it was published (probably on a separate line, depending on your formatting).

If you want to make the topic of your undergrad research the topic of your PS (or perhaps research in general as the topic of your PS?) then go for it. That said, I'd caution against trying to somehow incorporate your having been published into a PS on another subject…it'll likely seem forced.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@cal270 Thanks for your response. I am still a little unsure though, because I am much more interested in them knowing about my graduate level work, but at the time that I will apply, it will not be published (if it is to be published at all). Would I still include it on my resume then? My undergrad research was interesting, I wrote an auto-ethnography about folk music traditions and communication patterns in folk culture, but I really don´t want to highlight that as much as what I´m working on now, if that makes sense.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

If it was published or something like an honors thesis, then I think that may be something helpful to add to your resume.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

@LindsMitch said:
    @cal270 Thanks for your response. I am still a little unsure though, because I am much more interested in them knowing about my graduate level work, but at the time that I will apply, it will not be published (if it is to be published at all). Would I still include it on my resume then? My undergrad research was interesting, I wrote an auto-ethnography about folk music traditions and communication patterns in folk culture, but I really don´t want to highlight that as much as what I´m working on now, if that makes sense.

I don't see why you can't include both (unless you have a ton of work experience and, therefore, you're running out of space). Just put a line with a title of your current research paper (or a really brief description of the topic) underneath the one that likely reads "Candidate for Master's Degree in xxxx." :)