Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Highlighting the passages!

Anyone know if it's allowed to use a highlighter on the test?? I'm trying different strategies with RC and think highlighting will help. Any insight much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

Yes but honestly I would not recommend it. The strategy of high and low resolutions is very helpful imo. It's all about having the passage or the idea of what it is about compacted inside your brain and then having a rough idea of what each paragraph is about as you go into the questions.

I think the time spent highlighting could be better spent by doing the above and really getting an idea of what the passage is about.

I don't mark my passages up alot but when I do I highlight key terms and really zero in and can sometimes anticipate what the test writes will ask question on. For example, when there is a key word like "unfortunate" or some very strong language I will underline that because I know that the test writers will hone in on that on later questions. A lot of the questions can be answered without even looking back on the passage once you hone in on those high and low resolutions.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Isat2017 said:
    Anyone know if it's allowed to use a highlighter on the test?? I'm trying different strategies with RC and think highlighting will help. Any insight much appreciated. Thanks

Yup! Totally aloud to utilize a highlighter. I've known people who have done well with no marking, minimal markings, and highlighters. The fact that people who were ultimately successful disagree on the best strategies for RC tell me that much of it comes down to preference.

Experiment and see what works for you :)

• Isat2017Isat2017 Member
    14 karma

Thanks all! Comments were really helpful. :)

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I agree that you should experiment.

Ultimately, I think most people will find highlighters to be unnecessary and a hinderance. When I first started out, I used a highlighter. But as I progressed, I found that a pencil works just fine and saves you a lot of trouble.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

you can use one but don't do it.. just use your pencil, highlighters suck for the LSAT

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    edited October 2017 561 karma

@TheMikey said:
    you can use one but don't do it.. just use your pencil, highlighters suck for the LSAT

I agree with this for RC personally. But I find highlighters really useful for certain logic games! Specifically games that aren't fully figured out in a few game boards.

I find a lot of time and mental energy is saved when you can scratch off game pieces written in highlighter to keep track of everything, then simply erase those scratches when you need to draw a new board.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Main issue with highlighters is that they bleed through the paper... Especially on the very thin paper that LSAC uses for their test. :frowning:

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Main issue with highlighters is that they bleed through the paper... Especially on the very thin paper that LSAC uses for their test. :frowning:

Thanks for the tip! Googles best non-bleeding highlighters

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, highlighters are permitted as of now, but only in one color.