Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is "overlooks the possibility" the same is "reject the possibility" in flaw questions?

in General 199 karma
I erroneously chose the wrong answer because of the word "reject". I knew the argument was committing an absence of evidence argument/flaw. However, I felt "reject the possibility that" was too strong because I felt just because the author didn't mention it doesn't mean he rejected it. He may have simply not thought about it. It's not like someone brought up the idea and he rejected it.

LSAT Prep Test 26 (September 1998) - S3 - Question 10

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    They're very distinct. If you "overlook" something, you don't recognize a possibility. If you "reject" something, you recognize that it's a possibility but figure that possibility isn't relevant or applicable in some way.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I don't think the modern LSAT uses "reject the possibility"; nevertheless, your job should always be to look for the flaw, and it is clear here what the flaw of the argument is: taking the lack of evidence against a theory for proof of its validity. D is the only answer close to this.