Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Games Types

Martin. TMartin. T Alum Member
edited October 2017 in General 53 karma

Hello All,
My name is Talithia Martin and I am scheduled to take the LSAT in December this year.I've personally had my struggles with all the sections, however, I am finding my performance with logic games a little difficult to improve. One of the major questions I would like to ask is what is the difference between each type of logic game?
For example
a.) Basic & Linear Games
b.) Grouping Games
c.) Grouping & Linear Combination
d.) Mapping Games
e.) Pure Sequencing
f.) Pattern Games

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2017 9377 karma

Hello Talithia,

Could you tell us where you got those types? The 7Sage curriculum uses only five types: Sequencing, In/Out, Grouping, Spacial, and Misc. So if you want to know exact definitions of the types, I think you should go to forums of that curriculum.

That being said, if you are struggling with LG, I highly recommend 7Sage. LG explanations are free, so if you are interested, you should take a look: https://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

Are those game categories from Kaplan? They sound familiar but regardless of where you got them from, I highly recommend using 7Sage for logic games. I only purchased the curriculum after I found the logic games videos by 7Sage. I honestly think that 7sage really explains the logic games without intimating us by using these confusing categories. The games are much more simplified and easier to understand using 7sage's method/categories.

• daniel.noah.pearlbergdaniel.noah.pearlberg Free Trial Member
    70 karma

The different prep companies use different labels for the different categories. I like to think of it like this: For about 99% of the games, your task is either to put things in order (basic linear, pure sequencing), put things in groups (grouping), or both put things in order AND put things in groups. For now, don't worry about mapping games and pattern games.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

I'd recommend going through the 7sage curriculum. Really simplified LG for me after poking around some other test prep explanations that I felt were over-complicated.

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

they're powerscore's

a.) Basic & Linear Games 7sage i think sequencing
    b.) Grouping Games /// in out
    c.) Grouping & Linear Combination in out seq
    d.) Mapping Games // ?
    e.) Pure Sequencing // same
    f.) Pattern Games

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Not to beat a dead horse but LG is my worst section too and 7Sage has made me feel like it's beginning to be my favorite. I'm not sure which score your aiming for but if you're not close to it like everyone said I'd really encourage you to start 7Sage. The teaching method is invaluable.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Yeah I would recommend going through the 7sage curriculum. J.Y. makes it very clear what each game type is.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@martintalithia7 said:
    Hello All,
    My name is Talithia Martin and I am scheduled to take the LSAT in December this year.I've personally had my struggles with all the sections, however, I am finding my performance with logic games a little difficult to improve. One of the major questions I would like to ask is what is the difference between each type of logic game?
    For example
    a.) Basic & Linear Games
    b.) Grouping Games
    c.) Grouping & Linear Combination
    d.) Mapping Games
    e.) Pure Sequencing
    f.) Pattern Games

Yes, these are Powerscore's way of categorizing games. (A) is Basic Linear, and that's as opposed to Advanced Linear; 7 Sage calls those single layer and double layer sequencing games. As far as Pure Sequencing, that refers to a type of sequencing game, where all the rules describe which elements come before the others. The rules can typically be linked together to make a large chain. Powerscore does not distinguish between in/out grouping games and other grouping games, whil 7 Sage does. In/Out grouping games are basically grouping games with 2 groups, and it is very helpful to categorize them differently, because the types of rules and inferences that are common to them are somewhat different from the rules that govern other grouping games. As far as Mapping games are concerned, 7 Sage just categorizes them as Miscellaneous Games; there's really no advantage to categorizing them as Mapping.

• Martin. TMartin. T Alum Member
    53 karma

Thank you all for the responses to my post, and I will start focusing on the 7 sage curriculum. I received that source of information from the Power Score's series and often times I am overwhelmed with the information provided from the Power Score Bibles.