Motivation - When Justice is Done Badly

NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
edited October 2017 in General 5320 karma

"First, here are a few undisputed facts about Robert Pruett. He is 38 years old, and has spent every single day of his life in prison since the age of 15. The crime for which he was convicted at that age—the murder of a neighbor—was in fact committed by Robert’s father, Sam Pruett. The prosecution’s theory was that, even though the senior Pruett actually stabbed the victim, Robert was present and liable as an accomplice. At an age when many children have just finished middle school, Robert was given a 99-year sentence in the Texas penitentiary."

On Thursday, Texas plans to execute him. Edit They are executing him for the murder of a jail guard, the case for which is circumstantial.

I find this story abhorrent. But it is very important to read, not to mention how well it is written.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/10/the-autobiography-of-robert-pruett

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

The 99 year sentence is indeed abhorrent, but he is being executed for another murder.

2326 karma

Just to clarify: I'm not taking a position on whether he should be executed for the second murder, only that the original post makes it sound like he is being executed for the original crime.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

@uhinberg said:
    The 99 year sentence is indeed abhorrent, but he is being executed for another murder.

Just a follow up comment:

Why would he even consider the repercussions of killing a correctional officer (hypothetically, let's say he did it) when he's already had his fate decided for him...

I just don't see any sense in punishing someone for succumbing to a system that literally makes people conform to the metaphoric and literal walls around them. Not saying murder is the way to go, but when a system decides you're no better than a set of years and a set of walls, what else can you expect.

Side note @jkatz1488 I wonder if you've ever watched "Confession Tapes" on Netflix. If you enjoy criminal justice torture, watch the first two episodes. It's absolutely infuriating and very much like this story you linked to (but much more visual aka you'll cry)

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2017 5320 karma

@uhinberg

Just to clarify: I'm not taking a position on whether he should be executed for the second murder, only that the original post makes it sound like he is being executed for the original crime.

Yes that's true. Unintended. Although, I also find that abhorrent.

5320 karma

@"sorooshian.h" I'll check it out!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2017 13286 karma

@jkatz1488 Check out Paradise Lost. It's about a group of kids nicknamed the West Memphis Three who were sent to prison for murder. It is really good and shows how fickle the justice system can be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Lost:_The_Child_Murders_at_Robin_Hood_Hills

2326 karma

@"sorooshian.h" said:

@uhinberg said:

Just a follow up comment:

Why would he even consider the repercussions of killing a correctional officer (hypothetically, let's say he did it) when he's already had his fate decided for him...

I just don't see any sense in punishing someone for succumbing to a system that literally makes people conform to the metaphoric and literal walls around them. Not saying murder is the way to go, but when a system decides you're no better than a set of years and a set of walls, what else can you expect.

In this particular case, there is a lot of room for sympathy, both because of the defendant's upbringing and the unfair way he was treated by the justice system. But, as far as this very generalized comment is concerned, do you really think that crimes committed by people in prison for life should not be punished?

5320 karma

@LSATcantwin ugh these stories are so depressing and yet it's exactly the type of thing I prefer to watch. Thanks for sharing.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:

Yeah, I looked into it and that's what I thought as well.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    edited October 2017 436 karma

In this particular case, there is a lot of room for sympathy, both because of the defendant's upbringing and the unfair way he was treated by the justice system. But, as far as this very generalized comment is concerned, do you really think that crimes committed by people in prison for life should not be punished?

Ehh, that's a hard one. I think if you brought me a slideshow of cases, I'd be able to say yes, no, yes, no... and then if you averaged my answers, you'd see far more "no"'s then "yes" . Of course, that's just my gut feeling.

You're right that it's super generalized, but also something to consider.

P.S. sorry for the 9 day delay... was taking a break from studying lol